Amtrak Palmetto Service

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Palmetto business class

Postby David Benton » Thu May 29, 2014 5:51 pm

youd have to be very tall to feel cramped in any of Amtraks seats I think .
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby ThirdRail7 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:48 pm

Nothing has changed since you started the Business Class on Palmetto thread a few months ago. It is unlikely to change before your trip. It may also help if you read the
Business Class on trains 42/42 thread from earlier in the month. They share consists.
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Thu May 29, 2014 7:51 pm

Pennsylvanian and Palmetto use Amfleet II coaches with a full Amfleet I business class car. The Vermonter, Ethan Allen and Empire trains have the "Café/Club" car with 2-1 seating.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby hi55us » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:41 pm

Is the Palmetto still using a full BC Car and Long-Distance Coaches? Booking a trip for next month and wanted to decide if it's worth "upgrading" to "business class"... If BC is not 2-1 seating I'll stick with coach...
hi55us

Postby Mackensen » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:46 pm

hi55us wrote:Is the Palmetto still using a full BC Car and Long-Distance Coaches? Booking a trip for next month and wanted to decide if it's worth "upgrading" to "business class"... If BC is not 2-1 seating I'll stick with coach...

According to the March issue of Trains the Palmetto has a full 2-2 BC car.
Mackensen

Re: Amtrak Palmetto Service

Postby Jeff Smith » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:29 pm

The Palmetto is currently showing as sold out beginning 5/2 forward on Mondays through Thursdays (per AmSnag http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php). It's available before that, so I don't think it's accident related.

Any thoughts as to why?
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas Chen » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:22 pm

I went on to the Amtrak site and searched for NYP->SAV and SAV->NYP on 5/2-5/4 and 5/6. It appears that only train 90 (SAV->NYP) is sold out on Mondays through Thursdays, but 89 still shows seats available all days of the week. It looks like it might be time for another one of Amtrak's experiments...
Nicholas Chen

Postby Jeff Smith » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:41 pm

Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Alex M » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:44 am

If I am not mistaken, SCL, during the brief period that it ran passenger trains, used to combine the Palmland and the Gulf coast special (FKA Havana Special ) at Broad St. Station in Richmond to avoid additional charges on RF&P/Penn Central, I presume. Some days this made for a very long train.
Alex M

Postby palmland » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:11 pm

I had not realized the Palmland and Gulf Coast Spl were combined. SCL’s first timetable - July 1967, has the two trains still separate as it did in the December issue. I don’t have one for 1968, buy their TT for April of 1969 shows them combined north of Richmond. To do that, the Palmland’s schedule was advanced a couple hours so arrival time in Richmond was close to the 10pm for the Gulf Coast.

My 1964 ride on the Palmland was great. In those days the Miami sleeper was often a foreign road such as Wabash or UP. Guess the SAL needed all their cars for the growing Florida traffic on the Star and Meteor. My car was a SRR 14-4, Hiwassee Valley. Also on the train was a C&O sleeper and several heavyweIght Pullmans carrying recruits to Ft. Jackson in Columbia. I boarded in Washington around midnight and had a leisurely ride through the Carolinas the next day enjoying the meals and beer in the grill-dinner. The best part was hanging out the Dutch door of the sleeper as we raced (we were flying) through the low country of SC and GA and across the many trestles south of Savannah to Jax. An evening tour of the great Jax station then a morning arrival in Ft. Lauderdale. Good food and good service to boot.
palmland

Previous

Return to Amtrak