NEC Future: HSR "High Line", FRA, Amtrak Infrastructure Plan

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: NEC Future: HSR "High Line", FRA, Amtrak Infrastructure

Postby cbrett » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:12 pm

I'm working on a project for school that's comparing the different routings proposed for expanding/upgrading the NEC, does anyone know if there's a GIS shapefile out there with the preferred routing of NEC Future? I emailed them a week ago but still haven't got a response
cbrett

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:26 pm

There isn't a GIS-mapped routing. Just a couple "Oh, screw it...we'll figure this out later" straight-line MS Paint drawings through Fairfield and New London Counties that they're calling a Preferred Alternative without saying that the map is anything more than a vague suggestion.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby seacoast » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:51 pm

I have the shapefiles for the selected alternative. PM me, and let's chat about your project.
seacoast

Postby seacoast » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:59 pm

SECoast.org has sponsored a fairly detailed looked at the high-speed rail plans for the Northeast Corridor through
Fairfield County, CT. Alon Levy authored the study for us, which is available here:
http://secoast.org/portfolio/a-closer-l ... alon-levy/
seacoast

Postby 35dtmrs92 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:29 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Elizabeth Station in NJ goes from 125 MPH to 55 MPH to 110 MPH in the span of one mile. That's really not a difficult fix, though. The downtown viaduct that contains the station and Elizabeth River crossing is mostly abutted by parkland, parking lots, and the station parking garage so rebuild/realignment is non-destructive and just trades parkland-for-parkland & reconfigs a bunch of poor-value parking parcels. Fix that and everything's tangent from Metropark to Newark Penn and up-rateable to as high a speed as traffic density allows.

From a late 2015 post in the thread "Amtrak livens up the PTC between New York & Philly", apparently the track speed at the Elizabeth curve has been revised up to 75 mi/hr for nontilt trains and 85 for tilt trains. From my armchair, before getting to realignment of that curve, it seems to me that the signal just west of the curve that currently drops eastbound trains to Limited Speed could be revised so it can display Cab Speed (rule 281a). Since an engineer is supposed to default to 60 mi/hr with no speed displayed or with inoperative cab signals, it seems that the combination of engineer training, a Cab Speed aspect and the safety overlay that is PTC would furnish adequate protection for the curve. If applicable, I would hope Amtrak petitions the FRA to make this happen; there is a big difference between being slowed to 45 mi/hr and being slowed to 75 mi/hr.
35dtmrs92

Previous

Return to Amtrak