Rockland Branch Discussion

Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

Re: Rockland Branch Discussion

Postby deathtopumpkins » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:08 am

Based on Street View imagery, the current Oak St overpass is at least 10 years old.

The oldest imagery for Pearl St is from 2009, and that fence was already there.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins
 
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:56 am
Location: Somerville, MA

Re: Rockland Branch Discussion

Postby Cowford » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Is anything freight-wise happening on the branch???
Cowford
 
Posts: 2690
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Rockland Branch Discussion

Postby doublestack » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Cowford wrote:Is anything freight-wise happening on the branch???

Yup, steel for BIW into the Harding Plant in Brunswick.
Latest load spotted here thanks to drc390 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkL8ZoyB8dE
Peter
User avatar
doublestack
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Freeport, Maine

Re: Rockland Branch Discussion

Postby 690 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:50 am

Plus the usual cement and perlite. A few new(er) cement hoppers have been added to the pool, so you'll probably see the older NAHX ones being phased out here.
User avatar
690
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:50 am
Location: Maine

Re: Rockland Branch Discussion

Postby Dick H » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:05 pm

I was on the noon "Lighthouses and Shipyards cruise today in Bath. (10/5).
As we approached BIW, the CMQ job to Rockland with five covered
hoppers was passing over the Carleton Bridge. The boat Captain
noted that this a "once a week occurrence".
Dick H
 
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: Dover, NH

Re: Rockland Branch Discussion

Postby MEC407 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:33 pm

MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
User avatar
MEC407
 
Posts: 10698
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:15 pm

Re: Rockland Branch Discussion

Postby gokeefe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:17 pm

Dick H wrote:I was on the noon "Lighthouses and Shipyards cruise today in Bath. (10/5).
As we approached BIW, the CMQ job to Rockland with five covered
hoppers was passing over the Carleton Bridge. The boat Captain
noted that this a "once a week occurrence".


Lucky you! Seeing a train cross that bridge from the water is a rare sight indeed.
gokeefe
User avatar
gokeefe
 
Posts: 9931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: Winthrop, Maine

Re: Rockland Branch Discussion

Postby MEC407 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:20 pm

From Village Soup:

Village Soup wrote:A proposed schedule for the pilot Downeaster Amtrak passenger train service to Rockland is being developed, with the first trains possibly pulling into the Union Street station in May.
. . .
Quinn said Tuesday, Nov. 14, that the pilot program is still in the exploratory stage. The next steps are to check the tracks between Brunswick and Rockland to see if they meet the needs of the equipment.

Between mid-December and mid-January, the Rail Authority will hold forums in communities where the trains will stop -- Rockland, Newcastle, Wiscasset and Bath -- to gather public feedback.

Possible schedules are still being developed, but the current proposal is for the service to run May through October on weekends. The tentative schedule calls for a train to leave Boston at 5 p.m. Friday and reach Rockland at 10:30 p.m. The train would then return to Brunswick, where it would stay overnight.


Read the rest of the article at: https://knox.villagesoup.com/p/downeast ... ay/1703997
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
User avatar
MEC407
 
Posts: 10698
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:15 pm

Re: Rockland Branch Discussion

Postby kilroy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:45 pm

The Maine Eastern excursions moved at a good clip so I would think the tracks are still in fairly good shape. I don't think it will take too much to get them up to Amtrak standards,
Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?
User avatar
kilroy
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:51 am
Location: Central Jersey

Re: Rockland Branch Discussion

Postby gokeefe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:17 pm

Agreed.

Great article from Village Soup.

I am very happy indeed to see the Rockland seats projected to be sold on the 5pm departure out of Boston. That will be a very strong market indeed.
gokeefe
User avatar
gokeefe
 
Posts: 9931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: Winthrop, Maine

Re: Rockland Branch Discussion

Postby Dick H » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:44 am

#685 sold out leaving Boston just about every Friday during the summer into the fall this year.
Rockland passengers better buy their tickets early in the week or even earlier.
Dick H
 
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: Dover, NH

Re: Rockland Branch Discussion

Postby deathtopumpkins » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:52 am

Village Soup wrote:The next steps are to check the tracks between Brunswick and Rockland to see if they meet the needs of the equipment.


Didn't Amtrak run a train up to Rockland recently? Like within the last year or two? I thought that was essentially an 'inspection trip'.

The train would then return to Brunswick, where it would stay overnight.


Didn't we previously establish that there was a layover space in Rockland? I wonder why they would be deadheading all the way back to Brunswick instead. That seems like an awfully expensive deadhead compared with just laying over in Rockland.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins
 
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:56 am
Location: Somerville, MA

Re: Rockland Branch Discussion

Postby gokeefe » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:19 pm

It was a visal inspection for VIPs, not track geometry and/or defect detection.

There is no suitable layover site in Rockland. Furthermore the trainset would be out of position for the next day's work and isolated from mechanical support. They want the trainsets to be serviced in Brunswick.
gokeefe
User avatar
gokeefe
 
Posts: 9931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: Winthrop, Maine

Re: Rockland Branch Discussion

Postby Ridgefielder » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:53 pm

MEC407 wrote:From Village Soup:

Village Soup wrote:A proposed schedule for the pilot Downeaster Amtrak passenger train service to Rockland is being developed, with the first trains possibly pulling into the Union Street station in May.
. . .
Quinn said Tuesday, Nov. 14, that the pilot program is still in the exploratory stage. The next steps are to check the tracks between Brunswick and Rockland to see if they meet the needs of the equipment.

Between mid-December and mid-January, the Rail Authority will hold forums in communities where the trains will stop -- Rockland, Newcastle, Wiscasset and Bath -- to gather public feedback.

Possible schedules are still being developed, but the current proposal is for the service to run May through October on weekends. The tentative schedule calls for a train to leave Boston at 5 p.m. Friday and reach Rockland at 10:30 p.m. The train would then return to Brunswick, where it would stay overnight.


Read the rest of the article at: https://knox.villagesoup.com/p/downeast ... ay/1703997

O/T but-- what is that train in the file photo? Looks like the PRR's Congressional.
Ridgefielder
 
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: Harlem Division MP 15

Re: Rockland Branch Discussion

Postby kilroy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Morristown & Erie owned car at Rockland station.
Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?
User avatar
kilroy
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:51 am
Location: Central Jersey

PreviousNext

Return to Central Maine & Quebec Railway (formerly Montreal, Maine & Atlantic / Bangor & Aroostook)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest