Niagara Hobby caboose for sale

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Niagara Hobby caboose for sale

Postby SST » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:53 am

Has anybody purchased the caboose from Niagara Hobby yet? I'd love to get a hold of it and tour the country with it.
SST

Re: AAPRCO Private Rail Car Owner Special

Postby charlie6017 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:45 am

SST wrote:Has anybody purchased the caboose from Niagara Hobby yet? I'd love to get a hold of it and tour the country with it.

According to Facebook posts, it hasn't been sold yet. Many folks are saying the owner is asking way, way, way too
much for it.

Charlie
~Charlie Ricker
charlie6017

Postby erie2937 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Price is $80,000 or thereabouts. Without roller bearing axles that caboose cannot go anywhere on rails. Brakes would be an issue too. No railroad would hang it on the hind end of a freight train and it could never be run in an Amtrak consist.
erie2937

Postby MACTRAXX » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:47 pm

Everyone:

Without going too much off the AAPRCO topic does anyone have pictures of the Niagara Hobby
caboose? The reason I ask is to see if George Wybenga ever sketched it for one of his caboose
art paintings that can be seen at http://www.cabooseart.com

Unfortunately George passed away in the past year - literally around the time a book containing
his caboose art was released. He traveled all over North America to seek out cabooses for his art
and this would have more then likely been a prime candidate for a visit to WNY.

I also think that the reason for the very high asking price is that the owner does not want to part
with this caboose unless they can get big money for it - in short it is not priced to actually sell...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby charlie6017 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:52 pm

MACTRAXX wrote:Without going too much off the AAPRCO topic does anyone have pictures of the Niagara Hobby
caboose?

Here's a screenshot I lifted off their website.

Charlie
Attachments
Screenshot (148).png
~Charlie Ricker
charlie6017

Postby lvrr325 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:54 am

It's posted on a rail classified for $85K, which is way, way too much. It's an N&W car (C2 class 518439) dressed up as Erie, from a class which has tons of preserved examples out there. So while in nice shape, from a museum standpoint it needs paint work; from a private owner standpoint, it's stuck on whatever host road you park it on without a change of trucks; basically it's good for a cabin or a billboard like it's been used for.

More realistic pricing would be under $20,000. There are plenty on Ozark Mountain Railcar for that or under many of which could be interchanged.
lvrr325

Re: Niagara Hobby caboose for sale

Postby Otto Vondrak » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:10 pm

SST wrote:Has anybody purchased the caboose from Niagara Hobby yet? I'd love to get a hold of it and tour the country with it.

Caboose is a freight car, not covered by AAPRCO in any way, not hauled by Amtrak, and you cannot use a caboose as a private car to "tour the country." Sorry to burst your bubble.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby Otto Vondrak » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:11 pm

lvrr325 wrote:It's posted on a rail classified for $85K, which is way, way too much... More realistic pricing would be under $20,000. There are plenty on Ozark Mountain Railcar for that or under many of which could be interchanged.

A more realistic price would be $8500... Anyone is going to have to spend at least $10,000 to move it out of there with trucks and cranes.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby lvrr325 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:45 am

I was basing the price on what other people want for their cabooses. A lot of those also needed to be trucked. Unlike eBay that site didn't look to have a feature to show what people have actually sold cabooses for.

Yes, the only touring you do in a caboose is if you find a tourist railroad that might host it to go back and forth on. Even if it has roller trucks it moves empty as a freight car on the class 1 roads.
lvrr325

Postby RMB357 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:49 am

It would look great on an excursion trip over the Buffalo Southern / NYLE if they could extend service and run to Cherry Creek, tack on a couple of more descent caboose and just run a unique trip . Of course it would have to come down in price and get fixed up but it wouldn't have to be trucked to far.. and someone with money to do it all .
RMB357

Return to New York State Railfan