Do railroads really value their employees?

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Do railroads really value their employees?

Postby abc8251 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:38 pm

From what I've read, it doesn't really seem like they do. It seems like they're mostly concerned with their bottom line.
abc8251

Re: Do railroads really value their employees?

Postby kilroy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Welcome to life in 21st Century corporate America. It's all about shareholder value now.
Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?
kilroy

Postby Wayside » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:07 pm

I remember years ago a railroad executive of a class 1 railroad in the northeast said that his theory of people management was the "rat and stick" method. You use the stick to guide the employee (rat) in the direction you want it to go. If the rat strays from the intended course, you hit the rat with the stick. If, after several whacks, the rat quits or dies, you simply get a new rat. He said this half jokingly (you never could tell with him).

But seriously, railroads mostly follow the bad old ways of dealing with their people who work under agreements. Labor relations staff in these corporations are often the least enlightened people who work for the company overall. Workers are not generally considered assets but rather just thought of as easily replaceable items.
Definition: Fixed Signal -- A signal that has been repaired
Wayside

Postby enterprise11 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:25 pm

No, you're just a number, an expendable line item on the company budget.
enterprise11

Postby freightguy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:39 pm

I think years ago they did. It's a much different culture it seems today especially in freight. In my opinion, don't know if value is the right word, but your job may be safer in passenger service!
Signed off
freightguy

Postby jz441 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:41 am

Freightguy is correct... Years ago they did. Today, you are just a warm body filling a vacancy. The word "Value" has no value on the railroad.
jz441

Postby cr9617 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:36 pm

Wayside wrote:I remember years ago a railroad executive of a class 1 railroad in the northeast said that his theory of people management was the "rat and stick" method. You use the stick to guide the employee (rat) in the direction you want it to go. If the rat strays from the intended course, you hit the rat with the stick. If, after several whacks, the rat quits or dies, you simply get a new rat. He said this half jokingly (you never could tell with him).

But seriously, railroads mostly follow the bad old ways of dealing with their people who work under agreements. Labor relations staff in these corporations are often the least enlightened people who work for the company overall. Workers are not generally considered assets but rather just thought of as easily replaceable items.

Very true. The railroad makes you jump through hoops to get the job and spends tons of money to train you, but then they spend the rest of your career looking to see which rule you broke so they can fire you.
cr9617

Postby Conrail4evr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:11 pm

All depends on where you are. To a Class I freight railroad, you're just a number - they wholeheartedly subscribe to Theory X. The Passenger side tends to treat their people well and provide them with a better lifestyle, hence the constant flow of freight guys to Amtrak or commuter agencies.

Shortlines can be hit & miss - I know of several Shortlines that used to be great, family-like operations until the Class I attitude infiltrated them. Regionals like RBMN, MRL, NYSW, etc. are generally good places to work and pay better than most Shortlines (but not as good as Class Is or Passenger).
Conrail4evr

Postby cjvrr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:18 pm

No offense, but it isn't much different in any field. I work in government and the same holds true. The politicians keep your wages low because they are paid with taxes, the public hates you because you are a "typical government employee" enforcing rules they don't agree with. Even when you are one of the few that bust your butt to do a good job there is very little thanks at the end of the day (or your career).

With how lean and mean we now run if you don't produce in the first 90 days (probationary period) you are shown the door.

And the slackers that are long time permanent employees do as little as possible as they know the union will go to bat for them to keep them employed until retirement.

My private sector friends in the same type business (engineering) also suffer some of the same issues but most have no pension to look for at the end of their career.
CV the Civil E
cjvrr

Return to Employment