Control Air -2?

Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

Control Air -2?

Postby Engineer Spike » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:11 pm

On the -2 series, I know the high voltage gear, such as reverser have electric motors, which move the contractors. One thing I've noticed, even on the new Eco rebuilds, is escaping air sound, when coming out of dynamic brake. What does the air control?
"Welcome all ye who enter; the show that never ends. Tingfield Sperminal Railway." (Graffiti on the entry to Mohawk Yard Office)
Engineer Spike

Re: Control Air -2?

Postby Wayside » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:14 pm

Just a guess but it could be MR air from the DB interlock which had previously pressurized the actuation of the locomotive automatic brake.
Definition: Fixed Signal -- A signal that has been repaired
Wayside

Postby Wayside » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:10 pm

Wayside

Postby Engineer Spike » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Thanks Wayside, I didn't think about that. I was always taught to bail, just in case the interlock didn't work.
"Welcome all ye who enter; the show that never ends. Tingfield Sperminal Railway." (Graffiti on the entry to Mohawk Yard Office)
Engineer Spike

Postby Wayside » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:41 am

Engineer Spike wrote:Thanks Wayside, I didn't think about that. I was always taught to bail, just in case the interlock didn't work.

Good practice, since the DBI action is not trainlined, and trailing units might not cooperate on their own.
Wayside

Return to EMD - Electro-Motive