Old MBTA System Maps and Schedules

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Old MBTA System Maps and Schedules

Postby edbear » Fri May 05, 2017 5:46 pm

I probably have a few. The A ran until 1969 and the first T logo map I remember is about 1964.
edbear

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri May 05, 2017 6:16 pm

RenegadeMonster wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone have a map that includes the A Branch of the Green Line?

The 1967 system map, the first to designate the color and letter lines, has it: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... em_map.jpg. That may have been the only officially released map to ever show it. Anything prior to '67 would've had it listed under the old BERy/MTA Route #69, including any MBTA maps from '64-66.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Fri May 05, 2017 6:28 pm

We have this map at the library I work for.

https://twitter.com/BACLibrary/media
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby RenegadeMonster » Fri May 05, 2017 6:44 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
RenegadeMonster wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone have a map that includes the A Branch of the Green Line?

The 1967 system map, the first to designate the color and letter lines, has it: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... em_map.jpg. That may have been the only officially released map to ever show it. Anything prior to '67 would've had it listed under the old BERy/MTA Route #69, including any MBTA maps from '64-66.

Thanks for the info and the Map. I didn't know precisely what years to look for to find this.

I also noticed something odd with the Orange line. It appears to cross east over the Newburyport / Rockport line and head into Chelsea then meet back up almost. Is this a different route the old Elevated orange line too? And where it looks like it meets back up, is this where they are building the silverline connection?
RenegadeMonster

Postby leviramsey » Fri May 05, 2017 8:16 pm

On which map? The one that F Line Posted doesn't show Orange to Chelsea...
Last edited by CRail on Tue May 09, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Series of unnecessary quotes removed. Use the quote button only when responding to a specific post from earlier in the thread, otherwise use the Reply button.
leviramsey

Postby RenegadeMonster » Sat May 06, 2017 5:45 am

Everette actually. I keep forgetting Everette exist and keep calling everything north east of the river Chelsea, lol
RenegadeMonster

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat May 06, 2017 2:19 pm

That map is fairly accurate as far as route of the Charlestown Elevated and Everett extension. It did not cross the railroad at Sullivan Sq, as the map shows it just got pretty close. The Silver Line project, as currently funded, will terminate at Mystic Mall along Everett Ave. An extension to Wellington or [more likely] Sullivan is currently being studied by MassDOT.
BostonUrbEx

Postby CRail » Tue May 09, 2017 9:17 pm

Silver Line to Chelsea is being built on the B&A Grand Junction Branch to East Boston (part of the Grand Junction we still know as such).
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby rhodiecub2 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:13 pm

I noticed in the 1982 schedule, the "E" is not listed under the green line schedule but it is shown on the map.
rhodiecub2

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed May 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Brigham Circle-Arborway was suspended from 3/21/1980 to 6/26/1982 for major track reconstruction between Northeastern and Brigham Circle, and the only service offered was a short shuttle train from Park St. that expanded/contracted between Symphony, Northeastern, and Brigham turns with frequent weekend closures while the main thrust of the track work continued in phases. The normal schedules of Arborway-Park all-day service and additional Heath-Lechmere peak-period service didn't resume until that date in June '82, so any schedule published earlier in the calendar year would have omitted it on-purpose as they were still on the temp construction schedule.
Last edited by CRail on Sat May 20, 2017 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby elecuyer » Mon May 29, 2017 9:54 pm

I have framed copies (poster frame, nothing fancy) of both the July 1967 general system/public map (showing the Watertown A line in service) and the January 1973 BSRA track map. I am moving and am willing to GIVE both these maps to anyone who would like to pick them up from my home in Hampstead, NH. I will not ship. I will also include a 1970 Penn Central system map (also in a poster frame.)

PM me for details.
Support the WW&F's Narrow Bridge Ahead!
elecuyer

Postby elecuyer » Tue May 30, 2017 8:47 pm

The aforementioned MBTA maps have been claimed.
Support the WW&F's Narrow Bridge Ahead!
elecuyer

Postby MBTA3247 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Boston.com posted a 1930 rapid transit map.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby Disney Guy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Obscure question to ponder, for those familiar with the MTA maps of the 1950's and early 1960's.

Why were Lechmere and Riverside not marked as terminals (with the cross through the little circle symbol)?
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby The EGE » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:29 am

None of the now-Green Line terminals were marked as such. I assume that comes out of the BERy mapping style, where streetcar, trackless, and motorbus routes were marked in very similar styles, and heavy rail routes in a different style and color.
The EGE

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)