China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed with go

Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of North America.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

Re: China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed wit

Postby David Benton » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:11 pm

Every day they can chop off the schedule would make the service exponentially more competitive. 7 - 10 days would really knock air freight for a six. Presuming the cost is less, of course.
As for Africa, that may be a bridge to far at the moment.
Australia via ship to Singapore would probably be more viable, though who knows how long they can remain a major food exporter with the ongoing climate change problems.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
User avatar
David Benton
 
Posts: 7840
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:29 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed wit

Postby george matthews » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:40 pm

David Benton wrote:Every day they can chop off the schedule would make the service exponentially more competitive. 7 - 10 days would really knock air freight for a six. Presuming the cost is less, of course.
As for Africa, that may be a bridge to far at the moment.
Australia via ship to Singapore would probably be more viable, though who knows how long they can remain a major food exporter with the ongoing climate change problems.

I would think that once the food is on a ship it would be best to take the ship to a Chinese port. Journeys to and from Europe can gain a lot of time by rail, but via Malaysia much less.
george matthews
 
Posts: 4549
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 9:07 am
Location: Britain


Re: China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed wit

Postby george matthews » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:36 pm


It will need to change the wheels at least twice - that is move the containers from one train to another.
george matthews
 
Posts: 4549
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 9:07 am
Location: Britain

Re: China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed wit

Postby johnthefireman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Well, yes. We had that conversation at the beginning of this thread. This is just the same train going in the opposite direction.

Incidentally, I saw in another article that it will be carrying Scotch whisky, so all is well in the world.
User avatar
johnthefireman
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya

Re: China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed wit

Postby David Benton » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:39 pm

The Railway Gazette article mentions 2 gauge changes. It also has links to several other Europe - China train startups.
I think this will snowball.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
User avatar
David Benton
 
Posts: 7840
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:29 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed wit

Postby george matthews » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:18 pm

David Benton wrote:The Railway Gazette article mentions 2 gauge changes. It also has links to several other Europe - China train startups.
I think this will snowball.

If the traffic grows larger it may make a continuous Standard Gauge line look more attractive.
george matthews
 
Posts: 4549
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 9:07 am
Location: Britain

Re: China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed wit

Postby SemperFidelis » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:46 pm

With tensions in Eastern Europe being what they are, and probably due to grow worse, the original reasoning for the gauge break (hinderance to invasion forces) may trump economics of single gauging the line.
SemperFidelis
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:49 pm
Location: Stupid Voterland

Re: China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed wit

Postby george matthews » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:43 am

SemperFidelis wrote:With tensions in Eastern Europe being what they are, and probably due to grow worse, the original reasoning for the gauge break (hinderance to invasion forces) may trump economics of single gauging the line.

The potential tensions are further east than Europe. But the Afghan corridor is a potential link.
george matthews
 
Posts: 4549
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 9:07 am
Location: Britain

Re: China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed wit

Postby David Benton » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:19 am

I would think the most secure route would be Finland- Russia- China. At first glance it look like a round about route.However if you use google earths measuring stick between England and China , guess where it goes? Through Sweden and Finland. The problem been there is not a direct rail link between England and Finland. But the extra mileage is not as much as it first seems . i make it 9399 k.m , vs 9155 km fir the belarus route. Actual railway mileage would vary for both, and probably favour the Belarus route. There are railway links been built in Iran , maybe one day that will be stable enough to provide a southern route. I measure that as 10,700 k.m however.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
User avatar
David Benton
 
Posts: 7840
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:29 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed wit

Postby george matthews » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:20 am

David Benton wrote:I would think the most secure route would be Finland- Russia- China. At first glance it look like a round about route.However if you use google earths measuring stick between England and China , guess where it goes? Through Sweden and Finland. The problem been there is not a direct rail link between England and Finland. But the extra mileage is not as much as it first seems . i make it 9399 k.m , vs 9155 km fir the belarus route. Actual railway mileage would vary for both, and probably favour the Belarus route. There are railway links been built in Iran , maybe one day that will be stable enough to provide a southern route. I measure that as 10,700 k.m however.

There is a line through Iran - though it still includes a ferry across Lake Van. That takes Standard Gauge to the Pakistan frontier. There is a line to the frontier of the former Soviet Union and that also ends in a change of gauge. I am sure there are lots of people contemplating these problems but I am also sure they all conclude that at present there isn't a solution that would result in a SG line all the way. I think the people who will make a solution will be the Chinese. If they decide a continuous route is necessary they will find the money to build it. They may well be provoked by some difficulty with Russia and feel a need to have a route that avoids Russia.
george matthews
 
Posts: 4549
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 9:07 am
Location: Britain

Re: China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed wit

Postby David Benton » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:35 am

Trains mag reporting on the return train .
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... ice-begins
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
User avatar
David Benton
 
Posts: 7840
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:29 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed wit

Postby johnthefireman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:13 am

User avatar
johnthefireman
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya

Re: China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed wit

Postby johnthefireman » Sun May 21, 2017 11:40 pm

User avatar
johnthefireman
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya

Re: China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed wit

Postby David Benton » Mon May 22, 2017 1:00 am

Interesting article. I don't think double stack is the way to go though, The need is for speed , and the double tacks have terrible aerodynamics. Could be improved no doubt, but it also restricts the routes they can take in Europe.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
User avatar
David Benton
 
Posts: 7840
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:29 pm
Location: New Zealand

PreviousNext

Return to Worldwide Railfan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest