Orange EL used in popular movies

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Orange EL used in popular movies

Postby rhodiecub2 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:08 pm

I noticed recently these two video clips of the Orange Line elevated lines used in these two movies that come out in the early 70s.

The first clip is from a Burt Reynolds movie, "Fuzz"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ISeiIevWAIQ

It looks like it may have been the Charlestown El, possibly City Square.

There's another clip from the movie "The Carey Treatment." I can't figure out where it's located. Any ideas? I also noticed the strange color scheme used on the 01100s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDa1aeo2G0U
rhodiecub2

Re: Orange EL used in popular movies

Postby blackcap » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:47 pm

The very first part of the Fuzz clip was taken aboard a Boston-bound Red Line car emerging from the Cambridge tunnel onto the Longfellow Bridge, before cutting to a shot of the old I-93 high bridge with an Orange Line train rolling across the North Washington St. bridge.

The strange paint scheme on the 01100's was the short-lived "gray ghost" scheme that was part of the MBTA's original brand identity, before the switch was made to the color-coded paint schemes of today. Not all 01100's were repainted into the gray ghost scheme, but they were all eventually repainted into the white-and-orange scheme, which would be used on the 01200-01300-series cars.
blackcap

Location: Magna, UT (formerly of Gaston County, NC; Olathe, KS; and Woburn, MA)

Postby BandA » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:13 am

It's a TV series rather than a movie, but St. Elsewhere was set in Franklin Square opposite the Orange line, which is seen in the opening.
BandA

Postby X No Passengers » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:18 pm

There was also a movie that came out in the late 70s with Peter Falk in it that used Dudley Station on the inbound area.
X No Passengers

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)