Lechmere Viaduct draw span

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Lechmere Viaduct draw span

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:55 pm

The USCG drawbridge operating schedule for the Charles River has the MBTA East Cambridge (Lechmere) Viaduct as inactive, but the owner is under obligation to maintain the movable span in operable condition. I noticed the Lechmere span no longer appears to have an opening or joint for raising. Is the span still a functional draw, as apparently so according to USCG?
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Re: Lechmere Viaduct draw span

Postby MBTA3247 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:00 pm

Nope. There's welded rail clear across the bridge, and several large pipes just below the ties on the downstream side. I don't think any of the draw mechanism exists anymore; it looks like an ordinary plate girder bridge in my photos.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby deathtopumpkins » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:21 am

Overhead wire is also continuous across the bridge.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby boatsmate » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:12 am

seems to me that someone has hidden the truth from the Coast Guard. as for passing under the bridge, if it can fit under the Washington st bridge then it will fit under the trolley bridge. If it won't fit under the Washington st bridge then it can not go up the Charles River from the harbor.
boatsmate

Postby doublebell » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:03 pm

Not Coast Guard interest at that point. They end at the dam.
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back
doublebell

Postby atlantis » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:15 pm

At one time, of course, the North Washington Street bridge was a rotating bridge. It was closed for good many years ago, perhaps even when the Charlestown elevated Orange Line still existed, although I was just a kid when the El was discontinued so my memory of the operational status of that bridge is vague. That was also before the new Charles River dam was built with its overhead enclosed catwalk which is the same height as the former drawbridges.
If Boston to Cape Cod rail service occurs in 2012 I will eat a jelly doughnut dipped in tomato sauce.
atlantis

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)