New schedules effective 11/21/16 published

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

New schedules effective 11/21/16 published

Postby dbperry » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:49 pm

Known to Keolis and the MBTA as "Twitter Dave"
Frequently posting about the MBTA Framingham-Worcester line on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FramWorMBTA
Owner of Framingham-Worcester Blog: http://FramWorMBTA.weebly.com/
Maintainer of MBTA schedule archive: http://www.dbperry.net/MBTA/
dbperry

Re: New schedules effective 11/21/16 published

Postby Diverging Route » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:14 pm

On Lowell, the AM has a bit better spacing of 304-310.

Major change in the PM of eliminating the 4:10 Anderson express and 4:20 Anderson short-turn outbounds; combining them into a new 4:15 local. And 337 is five minutes later, creating a 40 minute gap from 5:50 to 6:30pm.
Diverging Route

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:44 pm

Where on the site is it buried? looked at schedule page and in News+Events page, no announcement or press release yet!
Backshophoss

Postby chrisf » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:09 pm

Backshophoss wrote:Where on the site is it buried? looked at schedule page and in News+Events page, no announcement or press release yet!

Look at the page for each line and there is a link to a PDF with the new schedule.
chrisf

Postby Trinnau » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:56 am

Diverging Route wrote:Major change in the PM of eliminating the 4:10 Anderson express and 4:20 Anderson short-turn outbounds; combining them into a new 4:15 local. And 337 is five minutes later, creating a 40 minute gap from 5:50 to 6:30pm.

This is an interesting evolution.

Old schedule was 2:10, 3:10, 4:10, 4:20 Anderson, 4:40, all making all stops. I'm guessing the 4:20 Anderson saw pretty light ridership.

Current schedule is 2:15, 3:00, 3:40, 4:10 Express, 4:20 Anderson, 4:45. So they tried to give an early express option and push the interior folks to the turn, but they also gave an earlier train with the 3:40, so those folks who previously couldn't make the 3:10 and had to sit around until 4:10 now have a middle option. This essentially introduced a third train in the same time slot they previously ran two, but it allowed an express option.

New schedule is 2:15, 3:00, 3:40, 4:15, 4:45 all making all stops. This is actually better overall service. Headways drop from 60 to 45 to 40 to 35 to 30 as the schedule transitions from the mid-day to rush hour and nobody gets left out. This line is so short an express train only saves about 5 minutes. I'm guessing they figured out they didn't need 3 trains when 2 would suffice, and rather than go back to the Anderson turn they opted for a better service spread. They have been cancelling a lot of Reading turns lately in the afternoon... maybe this will fix that.
Trinnau

Postby The EGE » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:47 am

New Fitchburg Schedule has full Wachusett service. No real surprises; every Fitchburg train is extended to Wachusett.
The EGE

Postby Diverging Route » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:10 am

Trinnau wrote:
Diverging Route wrote:Major change in the PM of eliminating the 4:10 Anderson express and 4:20 Anderson short-turn outbounds; combining them into a new 4:15 local. And 337 is five minutes later, creating a 40 minute gap from 5:50 to 6:30pm.

This is an interesting evolution.

Old schedule was 2:10, 3:10, 4:10, 4:20 Anderson, 4:40, all making all stops. I'm guessing the 4:20 Anderson saw pretty light ridership.

The old 359 (4:20 Anderson short-turn) under the prior schedule carried about 100 passengers. It was frequently cancelled.
Diverging Route

Postby ohalloranchris » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:14 pm

Thanks for passing this along. I don't see any major changes on the South side, but I only did a quick scan. It appears they have reinstituted "snow days" with limited service (which makes sense to me given the high number of folks who work from home on such days).
ohalloranchris

Postby deathtopumpkins » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:41 pm

Not only did they bring back the severe weather schedules, they've now added a color coding system on them, which i find interesting but completely unnecessary.
Purple - normal service
Blue - severe weather, trains in blue will not operate
Orange - special schedules in effect
Gray - no service

I'm curious what thoughts others have on this...
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby ohalloranchris » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:06 pm

deathtopumpkins wrote:Not only did they bring back the severe weather schedules, they've now added a color coding system on them, which i find interesting but completely unnecessary.
Purple - normal service
Gray - no service

Speaking of this, I'm surprised they have never instituted special limited service for certain holidays such as Columbus Day, Veterans Day, MLK Day, heck even the day after Thanksgiving. Those days all get full regular service, and while many folks work those days, the trains are much less crowded.
ohalloranchris

Postby Diverging Route » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:23 pm

ohalloranchris wrote:
deathtopumpkins wrote:Not only did they bring back the severe weather schedules, they've now added a color coding system on them, which i find interesting but completely unnecessary.
Purple - normal service
Gray - no service

Speaking of this, I'm surprised they have never instituted special limited service for certain holidays such as Columbus Day, Veterans Day, MLK Day, heck even the day after Thanksgiving. Those days all get full regular service, and while many folks work those days, the trains are much less crowded.

And the converse, adding extra "get-away" service afternnoons before holidays, such as Labor Day weekend, Thanksgiving, etc. LIRR, MNRR, NJT, and others do this quite effectively. Here's an example.
Last edited by Diverging Route on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diverging Route

Postby deathtopumpkins » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:37 pm

ohalloranchris wrote:
Purple - normal service
Gray - no service

They often run a Saturday/Sunday schedule on holidays. That used to include Veterans Day, Columbus Day, etc., but thankfully that stopped a few years ago.

If they do that it really screws over those of us who do have to work on most of those holidays. For example, look at the Newburyport schedule. The earliest train to Boston on weekends arrives at 9:56 AM. That's completely useless for commuting, and means that if you have an 8-4 or 9-5 job in the city, and the T decides to run a weekend schedule on a holiday, you're not getting to work on time.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby sonicdoommario » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Only real change I see on the Providence line is the Attleboro short turn (when inbound) departs a few minutes earlier (7:12 vs 7:14 I believe). Is it to get passengers into Boston a tad earlier? Would it also be that they want to create a little more distance between 842 and 808? Speaking of which, is that the reason that 808 sometimes has to randomly slowdown, because of train traffic?

And here I was fearing some huge overhaul, such as the January 2016 drafts...
sonicdoommario

Postby Trinnau » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:07 pm

I've been told the T pretty much runs the entire system the same, so commuter rail runs the same schedule "day" that bus and transit do. It is odd they don't have an intermediate service level, but on the other hand there is probably something in the union agreements about the number of holidays. If some of these "lesser" holidays aren't union holidays, what are you going to do with all the folks scheduled to work if you reduce the schedule? Pay them to stay home?
Trinnau

Postby Trinnau » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:11 pm

sonicdoommario wrote:Only real change I see on the Providence line is the Attleboro short turn (when inbound) departs a few minutes earlier (7:12 vs 7:14 I believe). Is it to get passengers into Boston a tad earlier? Would it also be that they want to create a little more distance between 842 and 808? Speaking of which, is that the reason that 808 sometimes has to randomly slowdown, because of train traffic?

And here I was fearing some huge overhaul, such as the January 2016 drafts...

The T has always said they wanted to start with a "fresh sheet" and then begin tweaking to refine the service pattern. This schedule change wasn't billed as a massive overhaul. I would expect fewer changes next time around, except for the Worcester Line.

As for your specific trains, the arrival times in Boston are the same. So the train must be consistently running a few minutes late and yes getting into 808 (likely due to heavy boardings) and running it a few minutes earlier allows them to add for the dwell time and still get people into Boston "on time".
Trinnau

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)