Yard 21 - Somerville

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Yard 21 - Somerville

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri May 20, 2016 2:02 pm

Mystic Wharf's also not got a lot of space between grade crossings for stuffing anything longish, and is a vulnerable place for security with open access just about everywhere and difficult monitoring because of the blind spots created by the I-93 decks. Yard 21 by contrast is in end-to-end constant view of Transit Police on the Orange Line and the maint crews milling around the rail/tie piles along the north leg of the freight wye. It's also blocked by a retaining wall + fence from allowing any too-easy trespasser access from the neighborhood side streets.

Massport's got all kinds of long-range plans in the hopper for the Mystic Wharf Branch, but they're all freight. That'll never be, even in reactivated state, any sort of useful or non-awkward place to store MOW equipment.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby dieciduej » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:14 pm

Looks like the Yard 21 lead is closed.

On the way home, northbound on the Orange Line, I noticed the old flats with old rail panels and so on were gone on the Yard 21 lead. Now three empty flats are there, a little further south than the old set and then a new barricade have been erected on both tracks.

Did anything happen to case the closing or have things just deteriorated to the point of no return?

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:27 pm

Wide gauge defects were found by the FRA today, possibly found as a result of an investigation of a prior incident not involving the wide gauge. With all the Boston traffic and lack of MOW space, I'm sure it'll be fixed ASAP.
BostonUrbEx

Postby dieciduej » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:05 am

I'd be worried when shoving/pulling 1789 marked tank cars down there.

What ever they do for fixing they first have to start with some serious weed killing. Someone is going to need an ocean of calamine lotion.

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby deathtopumpkins » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:31 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:Wide gauge defects were found by the FRA today, possibly found as a result of an investigation of a prior incident not involving the wide gauge. With all the Boston traffic and lack of MOW space, I'm sure it'll be fixed ASAP.

Would this incident have been last week? I meant to post but never got around to it - one morning last week, I think Friday, there were at least a dozen people in a mix of Pan Am and MBTA vests standing around a covered hopper at the beginning of the "yard".
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)