Hynes Station improvements starting 2019

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Hynes Station improvements starting 2019

Postby StefanW » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:34 pm

I would not be surprised if this project means any remaining traces of the old Massachusetts Station will be demolished. However, it will be great to get the station updated.

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/InformationCenter/WeeklyNewsletters/MassDOTNews11062015.aspx

MassDOT wrote:MassDOT, MBTA Approve Parcel 13 & Hynes Station Deal

MassDOT and the MBTA have approved a real estate deal that will leverage more than $30 million in private development funding for the delivery of a state-of-the-art, fully accessible Hynes Convention Center Station on the Green Line in Boston's Back Bay.

The MassDOT Board of Directors voted on October 21, and the Fiscal and Management Control Board (FMCB) of the MBTA voted Monday to approve a deal with The Peebles Corporation for the development of Air Rights Parcel 13 at the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston Street. The air rights development will be integrated with accessibility and reliability improvements to the adjacent Hynes Convention Center Station to be carried out by Peebles.

"On behalf of the Baker-Polito Administration, we in the leadership of MassDOT and the MBTA are excited to move this project forward," said MassDOT Secretary and CEO Stephanie Pollack. "This is exactly the kind of creative and innovative partnering with the private sector we should be pursuing to help fund MBTA improvements in a time of constrained budgets."

Parcel 13 comprises approximately 54,500 square feet of air rights over the Massachusetts Turnpike and portions of the MBTA Green Line tunnel across the street from the Hynes Convention Center. Hynes Station is the busiest Green Line station not currently accessible to people with disabilities. An average of 8,950 customers each weekday enters Hynes Station, which is also an important transfer point for the busy MBTA Route 1 bus.

The project will integrate improvements to Hynes Station with the development of the adjacent air rights, leading to a more cost-effective and efficient design and construction process. The station improvements will include the construction of redundant elevators and stairs to both the inbound and outbound sides of Hynes Station, making it fully accessible. The station design also will relocate the Massachusetts Avenue entrance to the station within the Parcel 13 Air Rights building, create a new Boylston Street entrance to the station, and replace aging electrical equipment.

The Peebles Corporation will pay more than $30.5 million in rent to develop the Parcel 13 air rights, which will be used to fund the station improvements. In addition, Peebles will provide space within the air rights building for the new MBTA station entrances and for relocating Green Line electrical equipment, as well project and construction management services for the station - all at no cost to the MBTA.

Preliminary cost estimates for the station work are $45.7 million. MassDOT is expected to fund station costs above the rent to be paid by the developer. Both the MassDOT Board and the FMCB will determine whether to proceed with the station improvements after station design is complete and final cost estimates are complete and again when station construction bids are received.

Permitting and design are expected to begin in 2016, with construction of improvements to Hynes Station estimated to begin by 2019.

Someone has already updated Wikipedia...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hynes_Convention_Center_(MBTA_station)#Planned_renovations
StefanW

Re: Hynes Station improvements starting 2019

Postby Type 7 3684 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:48 pm

StefanW wrote:I would not be surprised if this project means any remaining traces of the old Massachusetts Station will be demolished. However, it will be great to get the station updated.

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/InformationCenter/WeeklyNewsletters/MassDOTNews11062015.aspx

MassDOT wrote:MassDOT, MBTA Approve Parcel 13 & Hynes Station Deal

MassDOT and the MBTA have approved a real estate deal that will leverage more than $30 million in private development funding for the delivery of a state-of-the-art, fully accessible Hynes Convention Center Station on the Green Line in Boston's Back Bay.

The MassDOT Board of Directors voted on October 21, and the Fiscal and Management Control Board (FMCB) of the MBTA voted Monday to approve a deal with The Peebles Corporation for the development of Air Rights Parcel 13 at the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston Street. The air rights development will be integrated with accessibility and reliability improvements to the adjacent Hynes Convention Center Station to be carried out by Peebles.

"On behalf of the Baker-Polito Administration, we in the leadership of MassDOT and the MBTA are excited to move this project forward," said MassDOT Secretary and CEO Stephanie Pollack. "This is exactly the kind of creative and innovative partnering with the private sector we should be pursuing to help fund MBTA improvements in a time of constrained budgets."

Parcel 13 comprises approximately 54,500 square feet of air rights over the Massachusetts Turnpike and portions of the MBTA Green Line tunnel across the street from the Hynes Convention Center. Hynes Station is the busiest Green Line station not currently accessible to people with disabilities. An average of 8,950 customers each weekday enters Hynes Station, which is also an important transfer point for the busy MBTA Route 1 bus.

The project will integrate improvements to Hynes Station with the development of the adjacent air rights, leading to a more cost-effective and efficient design and construction process. The station improvements will include the construction of redundant elevators and stairs to both the inbound and outbound sides of Hynes Station, making it fully accessible. The station design also will relocate the Massachusetts Avenue entrance to the station within the Parcel 13 Air Rights building, create a new Boylston Street entrance to the station, and replace aging electrical equipment.

The Peebles Corporation will pay more than $30.5 million in rent to develop the Parcel 13 air rights, which will be used to fund the station improvements. In addition, Peebles will provide space within the air rights building for the new MBTA station entrances and for relocating Green Line electrical equipment, as well project and construction management services for the station - all at no cost to the MBTA.

Preliminary cost estimates for the station work are $45.7 million. MassDOT is expected to fund station costs above the rent to be paid by the developer. Both the MassDOT Board and the FMCB will determine whether to proceed with the station improvements after station design is complete and final cost estimates are complete and again when station construction bids are received.

Permitting and design are expected to begin in 2016, with construction of improvements to Hynes Station estimated to begin by 2019.

Someone has already updated Wikipedia...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hynes_Convention_Center_(MBTA_station)#Planned_renovations

This is great. This station needs some major upgrades. I was in the station a few weeks ago for the first time in a while, and I realized how disgusting it looks.
Young train enthusiast who also has an interest in planes and cars
Type 7 3684

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:05 pm

Full disclosure, I work for the BAC near by,

Here is the building they are building that will include the Green Line.
http://www.progressiverailroading.com/p ... nts--46357

I use the station everyday. Its good to see it get those improvements.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby The EGE » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:10 pm

You're welcome! I try to keep current projects updated on Wikipedia while I continue building out the history.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby StefanW » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:07 pm

The EGE wrote:You're welcome! I try to keep current projects updated on Wikipedia while I continue building out the history.

LOL - I was certain as soon as I read it that you were the one to make the update to the Wikipedia page. Your MBTA Wikipedia content & updates are great!!!
StefanW

Postby StefanW » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:18 pm

This appears to be the complete submission to the BRA which ultimately won.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/5d7cefc1-a972-4bdf-b35a-0925743e528d

There is some very impressive detail (at least I think it is) about the project as it impacts the subway & station... including diagrams all the way down to the platform and track level.

(Edit: It's a 9.2 MB PDF.)
Last edited by StefanW on Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StefanW

Postby StefanW » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:22 pm

This is the developer's rendering of what the corner of Mass Ave. and Boylston will look like:
http://imgur.com/0sxgWOY
StefanW

Postby StefanW » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:31 pm

One more... this is the high-res rendering from the developer showing that the project will completely absorb the old Massachusetts Station entrance on Boylston St. - all the way over to butt up against Division 16.

http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/01/Parcel-13-Hynes-Station-Developer-January-6-2014.jpg

For reference about the Division 16 side:
http://lostnewengland.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/701_1914c-coba.jpg
http://lostnewengland.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/701_2015.jpg
StefanW

Postby BandA » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:08 pm

is it $30M in rent per year?

If I was in charge, I'd go to four tracks thru Hynes, and build a tunnel (or at least provision for a tunnel) between Hynes & Back Bay.
BandA

Postby Rbts Stn » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:41 am

Is this for real?

Or Pie in the Sky?

We've all read about SO many "over the turnpike" projects for the past 20 years and none of them have actually even put a shovel in the ground.

I'd love to see some development here, but I'm wary.
Rbts Stn

Postby BandA » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:21 pm

It's a valuable location as convenient, subsidized public transportation is provided, and the Developer doesn't have to provide parking. Are they leasing the air rights or selling them?
BandA

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:51 pm

I believe all parties involved have signed off, and I have seen some work going on there.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby jbvb » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:40 pm

I haven't read the whole PDF, but it doesn't sound like they're going to restore the tunnel that used to let the able avoid jousting with Mass Ave. traffic going to and from SB #1 buses. Oh, well...
jbvb

Postby The EGE » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:48 pm

That was supposed to be part of the station improvements. It may not be in the Viola plans because it's strictly part of the station, rather than the new development. Originally the plan was to have the developer also do the station work, but it now appears that they will merely be making a $30.3M lump sum payment and the MBTA will be contracting the station work.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)