Public Invited to Pick Exterior Designs for New Subway Cars

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Public Invited to Pick Exterior Designs for New Subway Cars

Postby ns3010 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:58 pm

Vote on the paint schemes for the new Orange, Red, and Green Line cars between now and November 3rd: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/vehiclesurvey2015

BOSTON – The MBTA announced today that on-line voting is now open to allow the public to select the exterior designs for the new Green, Orange and Red Line cars.

“The manufacture and delivery of new rail cars will go a long way to enhancing MBTA service that our customers deserve and expect,” said MassDOT Secretary Stephanie Pollack. “In recognition of how important our customers are, and the importance of the role the T plays in the region, we are launching this contest to take this process one step further and let our customers have direct input on the final exterior design of the new vehicles.”

Three sets of exterior designs for each rapid transit line are available for viewing and voting on the MBTA website https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/vehiclesurvey2015. Votes will be accepted for two weeks, through Tuesday, November 3rd.

Personally, my vote goes to option 2 for the red and orange cars, and option 3 for green. Ideally, I would like to see and hybrid of options 1 and 2 for red and orange (thicker stripe across the whole bottom, like the 0600s, 01200s, and 01500/01600/01700s, AND the large logo), but too bad overall the designs given don't look too awful.

via MBTA.com
ns3010

Re: Public Invited to Pick Exterior Designs for New Subway C

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:01 pm

I voted for 3 on the Red and Orange. I liked the speckly dots.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby dieciduej » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:08 pm

Since when is North Station and Harvard an island station! Just nitpicking.

Orange and Red Line Option 2. Option 3 I think would be a upkeep nightmare.

Green Line none of the above. Write in candidate for the Green Line, the same scheme as the Mattapan PCCs!

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby NH2060 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:22 pm

Option 1 for the Red and Orange Line cars. Though the stripe below the window could be taller.

Begrudgingly selected Option 3 for the Green Line. And only because I am biased towards those "flexi-LRVs" and most of all the good ol' Type 7s ;-)
NH2060

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:34 pm

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:I voted for 3 on the Red and Orange. I liked the speckly dots.

I picked 3 as well. Looks modern and sleek.
BostonUrbEx

Postby Fan Railer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:39 pm

I personally like option 2 for both Red and Orange. Not too fancy, but it doesn't leave the car looking bland and empty like option 3 does; also doesn't use TOO much paint like option 1 does.

For Green, I prefer option 1.
Fan Railer

Postby Bramdeisroberts » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:56 pm

Am I the only one who noticed that they quietly slipped in a near-total cosmetic redesign of the Type 9s?
Bramdeisroberts

Postby Rbts Stn » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:45 am

More color is better than less color
Rbts Stn

Postby BandA » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:31 pm

Option 1 for orange, option 2 for red, and blank for the green. I'd like more color on the ends of the subway cars. I don't want the red & orange to have identical paint, and the red looks to have more contrast with the gray than the orange and gray, so the red can pull it off.
BandA

Postby Bramdeisroberts » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:40 pm

BandA wrote:Option 1 for orange, option 2 for red, and blank for the green. I'd like more color on the ends of the subway cars. I don't want the red & orange to have identical paint, and the red looks to have more contrast with the gray than the orange and gray, so the red can pull it off.

Option one looks incredibly slick on the Orange Line, and it reminds me a ton of the Cambridge 7-inspired livery on the Hawker-Siddeleys, it also makes sense since there'll only be one type of train in service on the OL.

On the RL, I could conceivably see a future where the 1500's and 1600's are stripped for spares and retired, while the 1700's are kept in service as spares and for high-demand periods. There's an argument to be made that the RL can and should be pushing Alewife's current-level headways to Ashmont and Braintree apiece (with double the trains through Cambridge), and keeping the 1700's on would make it that much more feasible for that to happen. That being the case, there could potentially be 3 types of trainsets on the RL, so cohesiveness will never happen and options 2 or 3 make a whole lot more sense for the new RL trains.

As for the GL colors, since these things will all be paired with type 7's for the forseeable future, and since the Type 7's will all be looking like the post-rebuilds anyways, does it even matter how they'll paint them? Any livery will end up wasted when paired with a Type 7 that looks nothing like it.
Bramdeisroberts

Postby BandA » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:46 pm

dieciduej wrote:Since when is North Station and Harvard an island station! Just nitpicking.

Orange and Red Line Option 2. Option 3 I think would be a upkeep nightmare.

Green Line none of the above. Write in candidate for the Green Line, the same scheme as the Mattapan PCCs!

JoeD
I like your thinking JoeD. How about the dark green from the rebuilds & LRVs w/silver-gray roof, with the "T" logo in a wide band composed of alternating Traction Orange and cream stripes. Perhaps the logo would be the stripes with the dark green providing the circle and T, rather than the usual black on white. They can spend more painting these "streetcars" as they cost twice as much as the orange/red cars.
BandA

Postby TomNelligan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:01 pm

The spotted designs make the cars look like they have some sort of unfortunate skin rash. A nice uniform stripe of the signature color, please.
TomNelligan

Postby nomis » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:16 pm

It is decided ...

Designs for new MBTA Green, Orange and Red Line trains revealed
http://www.whdh.com/story/30483916/designs-for-new-mbta-green-orange-and-red-line-trains-revealed
The designs were chosen by the public. The contest received 177,338 votes.

Green Line option 3 won with 89 percent of the vote. Orange Line option 1 wont with 41 percent of the vote. Red Line option 2 won with 90 percent of the vote.

Delivery of the first of 152 new Orange Line cars is set to begin in 2018. The first of 24 new Green Line trolleys will be delivered in 2017 and the first of 132 new Red Line cars will start in November 2019.

Survey data here
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
nomis

Postby dbperry » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:47 pm

Not so fast...

Jack Newsham at the Boston Globe blew this story up by looking at the data. Looks like someone setup a 'bot to stuff the ballot box.

https://twitter.com/TheNewsHam/status/6 ... 9103688705

My favorite part of the story:
Initial response by MBTA spokesperson when confronted with data irregularity: "we're not electing a president"
Subsequent response by MBTA spokesperson: ""Tech staff informs me there is evidence of irregular voting patterns."

news article:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/1 ... story.html
dbperry

Postby Bramdeisroberts » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:45 pm

Well, they went with my pics for the RL and OL, but that GL scheme is hideous and only highlights how small the side windows are on the stealth-redesigned type 9 carshells.

But, as meat loaf once said, "now don't be sad, 'cause 2 outta 3 ain't bad"

Let's hope the choices hold up.

Also, I wonder whether the 1800's might get the new scheme as well, that seems like it would be relatively easy to pull off as part of their mid-cycle refresh...
Bramdeisroberts

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)