Countdown Signs Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Countdown Signs Discussion

Postby octr202 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:11 pm

Riverside Line countdown signs went live today:

https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/591638892702478337

T says rest of Green Line should be active by sometime this summer.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby Rbts Stn » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:16 pm

That's great!

Any way of getting that data when I'm en route to the Green Line? So I know if I should take a short cut getting to the station or if I can linger a bit longer in my car?
Rbts Stn

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:20 pm

I've noticed that the countdown signs on the outbound side of Kenmore are usually off by one train: the two trains listed on the board end up being the second and third trains into the station after you walk down the stairs.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby octr202 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:16 am

Rbts Stn wrote:That's great!

Any way of getting that data when I'm en route to the Green Line? So I know if I should take a short cut getting to the station or if I can linger a bit longer in my car?

http://www.mbtainfo.com/green

This site has location data and a live map at this time. I suspect that once the Green Line system is fully deployed the site owner will be able to change the "distance away" listings to "minutes away" like the other subway lines.
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Postby Rbts Stn » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:27 am

That's a nice start. Of course there are "no trains found" for the direction and station I usually frequent at this time.
Rbts Stn

Postby Rbts Stn » Sat May 16, 2015 8:36 am

First time for me in the subway system in a few months, waited 10 minutes at Arlington for a "C" train. No countdown clocks. :(
Rbts Stn

Postby deathtopumpkins » Sun May 17, 2015 12:48 am

Rbts Stn wrote:First time for me in the subway system in a few months, waited 10 minutes at Arlington for a "C" train. No countdown clocks. :(

The underground stations aren't getting them anytime soon. Only the surface stops, and only on the D line so far.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby chrisf » Sun May 17, 2015 8:14 am

deathtopumpkins wrote:The underground stations aren't getting them anytime soon. Only the surface stops, and only on the D line so far.

Equipment is currently being installed underground and will be in service some time this summer, according to the MBTA. http://www.wbur.org/2015/04/24/green-li ... own-clocks
chrisf

Postby deathtopumpkins » Sun May 17, 2015 10:37 am

chrisf wrote:
deathtopumpkins wrote:The underground stations aren't getting them anytime soon. Only the surface stops, and only on the D line so far.

Equipment is currently being installed underground and will be in service some time this summer, according to the MBTA. http://www.wbur.org/2015/04/24/green-li ... own-clocks

I know the subway will eventually be getting countdown clocks, but I meant the current priority was the above-ground portion that they already have the tracking system in place for.

And I'd take that estimate of this summer with a grain of salt.
Call me Connor or DTP

deathtopumpkins

Postby Rbts Stn » Tue May 19, 2015 1:49 pm

Brookline Hills didn't have 'em when I was there a couple weeks ago. Hopefully soon!
Rbts Stn

Postby deathtopumpkins » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:33 pm

So there is now an orange line countdown sign on the commuter rail concourse at North Station! Is this the first "out of system" sign?

It's located on the back of the departures board over the stairs on the I-93 side entrance.
Call me Connor or DTP

deathtopumpkins

Postby SM89 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:49 pm

deathtopumpkins wrote:So there is now an orange line countdown sign on the commuter rail concourse at North Station! Is this the first "out of system" sign?

It's located on the back of the departures board over the stairs on the I-93 side entrance.

But not Green Line? They're also missing a Green Line countdown sign at the fare gates in North Station. They only show Orange.
SM89

Postby octr202 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:04 pm

The sign inside the NS/Garden east exit has room for the Green Line as well - it's just not displaying anything.

The last time I was in North Station waiting for a westbound GL train, the signs were not displaying predictions there, either. The eastbound (Lechmere) platform does provide predictions, but the few times I've been up there they've not been accurate. Don't know if that's due to an issue with the prediction system, or because trains are being redirected by inspectors downtown.
octr202

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)