Remembering Gerry O'Regan (Gerry6309)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Remembering Gerry O'Regan (Gerry6309)

Postby BandM4266 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:09 am

To all members it is with great sadness that I report the loss of a great man, that shared a wealth of knowledge with us and his love for the history of Streetcars.. Gerry O'Regan (Gerry6309) has Passed away last night while in Maine at the Seashore Trolley Museum.
BandM4266

Re: Remembering Gerry Oreagan (Gerry6309)

Postby BigUglyCat » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:52 am

My sincere condolences to Gerry's family and friends. We will miss him very much.
BigUglyCat

Postby typesix » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:15 am

Met Gerry while we were students at NU. He gave me and a few others many rides to the Seashore and Warehouse Point museums(starting off by listening to a radio station that played his Irish music on Saturdays, to our groans) before we started driving ourselves. Will greatly miss him.
typesix

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:25 pm

That's awful. :( What happened...he was posting just 24 hours ago?
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Diverging Route » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:46 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:That's awful. :( What happened...he was posting just 24 hours ago?

From Seashore's Chairman:

To Seashore Members and Friends –

It is with a great deal of regret that I must inform you of the passing of our long time member Gerry O’Regan. He had been spending time at the museum doing volunteer work over the past week and was staying in the Men’s Dormitory. Other members staying there found him this morning having succumbed to an apparent heart attack.

Gerry had served the Society in many ways including running elections for years and using his considerable engineering skills to diagnose and correct countless electrical issues in our fleet. He will be greatly missed by his many friends.

We will pass on information about services as soon as it is available.

Jim Schantz
Diverging Route

Postby CRail » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:03 pm

When I got the message this morning I thought it was some kind of sick joke. I worked with Gerry a lot up in Maine and we enjoyed many an evening after hours. He was a real pleasure to work and spend time with, and with him went an extreme wealth of knowledge. Gerry was one of the good ones for sure, both Seashore and Railroad.net alike have lost big time today.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby TomNelligan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:47 pm

That's a very unpleasant surprise. I never had occasion to meet Mr. O'Reagan but I always enjoyed his knowledgeable postings here. RIP.
TomNelligan

Postby dieciduej » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:15 pm

I met Gerry through the BSRA and later Seashore. He was a wealth of information whether on this forum of just running into him and asking him a question. I believe his passing will be felt throughout the Boston transit history world.

RIP Gerry6309

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:27 pm

Wow, great loss for transit historians, RailRoad.Net, and -- from what I've read -- Seashore Trolley Museum. It seems fitting he passed at what must have been a beloved and frequented location of his. I hope family and friends find the strength to cope. Gerry and his knowledge will be missed.

:(
BostonUrbEx

Postby dieciduej » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:13 am

There is some information regarding the services for Gerry O'Regan:

The wake will be held at St. Mary of the Angels, 377 Walnut Ave. in Roxbury, on Tuesday October 6, 5-7 PM.

The funeral Mass will also take place at St. Mary of the Angels, 377 Walnut Ave. in Roxbury, on Wednesday October 7, 10 AM.

Of an interesting note, Gerry will be buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery, with his parents. Gerry has always be fan and supporter of the PCC cars adding his knowledge to the crews at Mattapan and his tireless work at the Seashore Trolley museum. It is fitting that he will take his final rest at a place where he can keep an eye on his beloved PCC cars of the High Speed Line.

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby jaymac » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:50 pm

A more than apt resting place...

Re typesix's 10-01 posting, the music was possibly from A Celtic Sojourn on WGBH with Brian O'Donovan. The O-Apostrophes do have a bond.
"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac

Postby typesix » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:26 pm

jaymac wrote:A more than apt resting place...

Re typesix's 10-01 posting, the music was possibly from A Celtic Sojourn on WGBH with Brian O'Donovan. The O-Apostrophes do have a bond.

No, it was an AM radio station. The current one is WROL(950 AM)and I only know that because it comes on after the Car Doctor program that I listen to. Don't know if it was the same station playing Irish music back in the mid-late 1970s.
typesix

Postby Disney Guy » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:58 pm

There was an Irish music show I listened to from time to time in the early 1970's (or late 1960's) on 1600 AM then called WBOS. There were two main sponsors, a record store near Dudley Square, and Aer Lingus Airlines.

I remember the detailed drawings of trolley cars that Gerry made and handed out from time to time as door prizes at Boston Street Railway Association meetings. Hopefully the originals have been saved on line or somewhere.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby jaymac » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:35 am

typesix and Disney Guy-
Thanks for the restoration of accuracy.
As a TMI offering, if a Dudley Square record store might seem a strange sponsor for an Irish music show, Dudley Square is the site of the now-revivified century-plus-old Hibernian Hall, a gathering site for recent and not-so-recent arrivals of Hibernian persuasion. Back somewhat OT, Dudley Station being a working place for many of both Hibernian and BERY persuasion, the siting of Hibernian Hall seems appropriate.
"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac

Re: Remembering Gerry O'Regan (Gerry6309)

Postby The MTA Blue Egg » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:38 am

Gerry didn't even know me but was willing to help me with info
and photos for my drawings.
He was willing to give advice to someone he never met which was very much appreciated by me.
He will be missed by the community and his friends.
Goodbye 6309.
May you rest.

Mike
The MTA Blue Egg

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)