MBTA Commuter Rail Challenge

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: MBTA Commuter Rail Challenge

Postby ck4049 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:27 pm

You know, I just might try the South Side challenge. It sounds reasonable enough! Although I would add Worcester trains #541/#542 in there(depart Boston 9:25, arrive Worcester 11:00-depart Worcester 11:10, arrive Boston 12:37a).
ck4049

Postby chrisf » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:17 pm

ck4049 wrote:You know, I just might try the South Side challenge. It sounds reasonable enough! Although I would add Worcester trains #541/#542 in there(depart Boston 9:25, arrive Worcester 11:00-depart Worcester 11:10, arrive Boston 12:37a).

At least tonight the 541 train turned around and went back in as the 542 so it should be no issue to get that as the return, barring a failure.
chrisf

Postby CRail » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:05 am

chrisf wrote:Otherwise you might have to catch 544, leaving at 12:10am, and it would seem that you might have to pay for that one.

For the purposes of scheduling and fare structure (including pass expiration), the day does not change until the end of service.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby elecuyer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:04 pm

Whoops. I did forget the Worcester line. (My original schedule had me starting/ending in Worcester, but that challenge omitted Greenbush.) Thanks for tacking it on.

That said, I will not be able to partake of the challenge - at least on April 24th. I have an event on April 23rd that prevents me from participating. (At least without sleeping.)

I'd like to propose we call this the Paul Joyce Memorial MBTA Challenge, in honor of our friend Paul who, while I never met him in person, would probably be first in line to give this a try.

Good luck to anyone crazy enough to do it!
Support the WW&F's Narrow Bridge Ahead!
elecuyer

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:50 pm

Should we have a meet up and a # of us try this?
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby Arborwayfan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:49 pm

Years ago I had this same conversation with a friend from Newton. He figured out you couldn't do the whole system in a day, even then (It was before the Old Colony lines reopened) -- unless you go someone to drive you between the outer terminal of one line and the outer terminal of another line once or twice in the day. We weren't sure that counted, and we didn't have anyone to wait for us and drive us anyway, so of course we never tried any of it, and I moved away from Boston without ever going all the way out some of the lines. What do you think? Would going the length of each line in at least one direction in one day count for something? (Related: If you were trying to do all the RT lines in a day, would it be OK to go out to Riverside, go back to Reservoir, walk across to Cleveland Circle, take the C to Kenmore, etc.?

And a pesky question: For the northside, do you have to go over the Wildcat, or is going to Haverhill via Reading and then going to Lowell good enough? And would catching the Downeaster to or from Haverhill help, and would it count?

If anyone tries it, tell how it goes.
Arborwayfan

Postby jaymac » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:37 am

There is always that contrary-to-the-spirit-of-public-transportion-but-ultimate-in-personal-transportation-device, the TARDIS. Access to one would solve all other access problems. Near but not so dear to the heart of the no-longer-posting Paul Joyce, the TARDIS would also permit views of and even rides on the fully-functioning Flying Yankee, minus the chocolate galas.
"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac

Postby MACTRAXX » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:52 am

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:Should we have a meet up and a # of us try this?

Everyone: Yes - this is a really good idea and could make this Challenge even more interesting...

I will add that there could be two groups riding each side of the Commuter Rail system...If anyone comes up with a itinerary plan for the North Side
routes covering hard to ride lines like the Wildcat Branch let us know...

The Free Ride Day - and the Commuter Rail Challenge - may well be a incentive for MBTA Forum members from outside the Boston area to visit and
take part...This could be quite a day!

MACTRAXX

EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby elecuyer » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:45 pm

So, is anyone up for the challenge?
Support the WW&F's Narrow Bridge Ahead!
elecuyer

Postby The EGE » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:41 pm

Sadly I cannot - I will be taking data on all-doors boarding on the Green Line and buses.
The EGE

Postby diburning » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:52 pm

I'll be riding the Rockport line on Friday, just to see it. I have somewhere to be in the evening, so no north/south side tour for me.
diburning

Postby deathtopumpkins » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:45 pm

I actually did consider doing some variation of the challenge (since I've ridden surprisingly little of the CR system despite being a daily commuter for quite a while), but I have an engagement in the morning in the city, and in the afternoon out in Waltham. At least I'll save the $8.35 it now costs to get there on the Fitchburg line!
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)