Plow Extra Sightings/2015

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Plow Extra Sightings/2015

Postby jaymac » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:44 pm

T plow extra with MBA 2740, 3247, and MBA 2746 off station track and east of CPF-GL at 1222/02-05-2015 after reporting wing trouble as cause of delay to D-3.
"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac

Re: Plow Extra Sightings/2015

Postby dbperry » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:57 pm

Presser on MBTA.com reporting that MBTA has acquired two loaner snowjets from MTA. Any sightings? Any guess on how they get to MA from NY? Can all snowjets be used interchangeably on rail, subway, and light rail lines?

http://www.mbta.com/winter/
dbperry

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:27 pm

dbperry wrote:Any guess on how they get to MA from NY?

Truck.

Can all snowjets be used interchangeably on rail, subway, and light rail lines?

I would imagine so. The ones I've seen photos of are fairly small, so unless you had non-standard gauge tracks they should be able to go anywhere.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby djimpact1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:34 am

dbperry wrote:Presser on MBTA.com reporting that MBTA has acquired two loaner snowjets from MTA.

There is also mention of this on the Patriot Ledger's website today.

In checking NETransit's roster page, I don't see either jet snowblower (4326 & 4327) or snowblower 04444 listed as out of service, so why the need to get two loaners from the MTA? Is it a gas-consumption thing?

Also, does this equate to the T needing updated/additional snow removal equipment than what's currently owned?
A non-foaming rail enthusiast.

Member of a yet-to-be-determined transit social group
Do what you do, do it often, do it well....
djimpact1

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:48 pm

djimpact1 wrote:
dbperry wrote:Presser on MBTA.com reporting that MBTA has acquired two loaner snowjets from MTA.

There is also mention of this on the Patriot Ledger's website today.

In checking NETransit's roster page, I don't see either jet snowblower (4326 & 4327) or snowblower 04444 listed as out of service, so why the need to get two loaners from the MTA? Is it a gas-consumption thing?

Also, does this equate to the T needing updated/additional snow removal equipment than what's currently owned?

The jet blowers do their work very slowly, and are very maintenance-intensive needing a shop visit between jobs. So there's only so much ground they can cover in a given day and they don't lend themselves well to doing large quantities of track miles per day. Their purpose is to clear the snow in the highest-drift spots when a line is impassible, not melt it everywhere to save an entire systemwide fleet's worth of fragile traction motors from self-immolating.

Since the blizzard was pretty much a non-event in NYC the MTA hasn't used their much larger jet blower fleet at all this winter. Very obvious loaner situation; I'm sure the MTA were more than happy to oblige. They know all-too-well what it's like to take a merciless beating in public opinion.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby BandA » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:42 pm

The two videos I've seen on the jet blower look pretty underwhelming. I would guess they are good at dealing with icing conditions. I want to see fleets of rotary plows ;)
BandA

Postby Gerry6309 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:32 pm

BandA wrote:The two videos I've seen on the jet blower look pretty underwhelming. I would guess they are good at dealing with icing conditions. I want to see fleets of rotary plows ;)

Ask the Legal Dept.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby Kamen Rider » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:44 am

BandA wrote: I want to see fleets of rotary plows

Well, then, next time ask to borrow the right equipment then

mind you, these units don't melt the snow and ice, they just throw it.
仮面ライダー / Kamen Rider
Rider JUMP! Rider KICK!
Kamen Rider

Postby Gerry6309 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:30 pm

Not only isn't there a scratch on the blade, but it is sitting in the transit museum. Doesn't seem like that device is used much :)

Sorry , Kamen Rider
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby Kamen Rider » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:12 pm

Gerry6309 wrote:Not only isn't there a scratch on the blade, but it is sitting in the transit museum. Doesn't seem like that device is used much :)

Sorry , Kamen Rider

those pictures are from 2006 when it was brand new, never used. I took them not long after it arrived in the Transit Museum in late June as the "Guest Car" during the museum's 30th anniversary event in July.
仮面ライダー / Kamen Rider
Rider JUMP! Rider KICK!
Kamen Rider

Postby BenH » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:27 pm

Gerry6309 wrote:Not only isn't there a scratch on the blade, but it is sitting in the transit museum. Doesn't seem like that device is used much :)

Sorry , Kamen Rider

Doesn't matter if its used much. What is important is that the MTA has the equipment in the MOW fleet so they can more easily and quickly deal with blizzards and other major snow events.

The railroads out west (e.g UP and BNSF) still have ancient rotary plows hanging around for the rare cases when they are needed. Some of the rotarys are 100 years old, I'm told. Its not uncommon for ten years to go by before they have to call for the rotary on some lines.
Last edited by BenH on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
BenH

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:03 pm

Both BNSF and UP have small "fleets" of Rotary Plows,but are the last line of defense called up due to $$$ expense.
They try to stay ahead of the storms by using Plows/ Spreaders till there's no other option,BUT,to call out the Rotary.
Backshophoss

Postby Gerry6309 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:50 pm

Backshophoss wrote:Both BNSF and UP have small "fleets" of Rotary Plows,but are the last line of defense called up due to $$$ expense.
They try to stay ahead of the storms by using Plows/ Spreaders till there's no other option,BUT,to call out the Rotary.

Rotary Plows are great out in endless cornfields or forests. They are not popular in suburbs or cities where they can toss around things other than snow. The same applies to the sweeper with its horizontal rotating broom. It does its job too well, sweeping switch irons, spikes and other small items into places they don't belong.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

Gerry6309

Postby BandA » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:39 am

A rotary that pipes/conveys the output to trailing hopper cars might be helpful with the overload of accumulated snow. Or blades that funnel into a smaller rotary thrower in the middle.
BandA

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)