Status Of Equipment at BET

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Status Of Equipment at BET

Postby ns3010 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:09 am

deathtopumpkins wrote:The baggage car is gone.


It was picked up by PAR about a week and a half ago.


Speaking of things that are gone, (IRMX) 902 was also finally picked up by PAR about a week and a half ago.
User avatar
ns3010
 
Posts: 1961
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: MP 226.5

Re: Status Of Equipment at BET

Postby deathtopumpkins » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:16 am

ns3010 wrote:
deathtopumpkins wrote:The baggage car is gone.


It was picked up by PAR about a week and a half ago.


Speaking of things that are gone, (IRMX) 902 was also finally picked up by PAR about a week and a half ago.


I'm usually too tired to pay attention in the morning and it's dark on the way home, so I guess I hadn't noticed! And I didn't see any mention of it here since finding out it was bad-ordered.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins
 
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:56 am
Location: Somerville, MA

Re: Status Of Equipment at BET

Postby ck4049 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:35 pm

It appears as though GP18 904 is now in the dead line at BET next to the load box in front of the 1132.
ck4049
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Somerville, MA

Re: Status Of Equipment at BET

Postby CRail » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:13 am

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:They're so heavily vandalized/arsoned and in all-around deplorable condition that they have almost no preservation value.
A scrapped car has no preservation value. Any in-tact body is most certainly worth preserving.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
User avatar
CRail
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 8:27 am
Location: Eastie

Re: Status Of Equipment at BET

Postby drvmusic » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:33 pm

ck4049 wrote:It appears as though GP18 904 is now in the dead line at BET next to the load box in front of the 1132.


One of my favorites. :(

The last of them with 902 gone.
User avatar
drvmusic
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Status Of Equipment at BET

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:37 pm

ck4049 wrote:It appears as though GP18 904 is now in the dead line at BET next to the load box in front of the 1132.


Aw, dammit. I liked that unit, the paint scheme suited her well.
User avatar
BostonUrbEx
 
Posts: 3579
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Winn to MPT 8, Boston to MPN 38, and Hat to Bank

Re: Status Of Equipment at BET

Postby Gerry6309 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:23 pm

CRail wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:They're so heavily vandalized/arsoned and in all-around deplorable condition that they have almost no preservation value.
A scrapped car has no preservation value. Any in-tact body is most certainly worth preserving.

Famous last words.

To be worthy of preservation a rail vehicle must be viable, that is, it met be restorable at reasonable cost. It must have a long term means of support. Several cars restored under private support at Seashore, have deteriorated over time, and now require substantial investment to keep them in first rate condition. Other cars acquired in first rate condition are mouldering now, due to lack of maintenance funds. Third, there must be an ability to stop deterioration, i.e. quality, climate controlled storage. Just because someone wants to preserve something is not enough.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
User avatar
Gerry6309
 
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Status Of Equipment at BET

Postby ck4049 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:56 pm

I was told the 904 isn't "dead" dead, but it is in for it's 4-year inspections. Last time I checked the diesel house was quite full anyway so they probably wanted to put it out of the way so revenue units can get their turn in the shop first since they are of a higher priority.
ck4049
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Somerville, MA

Re: Status Of Equipment at BET

Postby CRail » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:46 pm

Gerry6309 wrote:To be worthy of preservation a rail vehicle must be viable, that is, it met be restorable at reasonable cost. It must have a long term means of support. Several cars restored under private support at Seashore, have deteriorated over time, and now require substantial investment to keep them in first rate condition. Other cars acquired in first rate condition are mouldering now, due to lack of maintenance funds. Third, there must be an ability to stop deterioration, i.e. quality, climate controlled storage. Just because someone wants to preserve something is not enough.

"Reasonable" is relative. What you're talking about is evaluating an initiative against a given organization's resources and ability. In a railway museum setting, the preservation value of an artifact will, over time and without investment, become less than the value of the space the artifact occupies (which can be significant). In the case of a funded railroad with countless defunct sidings and lead tracks, the equation is different on both sides. These things can quite obviously remain out of sight and out of mind (yes, they're not literally out of sight currently as their presence is quite conspicuous but to those who decide these things, they're out of the way) for decades. The Budd cars are not being preserved, but their preservation value is being kept well above 0. The point is, the longer they can be kept in whatever deplorable condition they're in, the better off they are than if they were scrapped (Had Joe's Metals [or whomever] shown up when they were supposed to, they'd be of no significance to any of us and we wouldn't be talking about them). I'd rather see them rot for another 30 years than see them hauled off and destroyed tomorrow (of course, I'd really rather see something done with them like the crew trailer idea. 2 lit streamliners berthed on track 12 in the station would look phenomenal in my opinion and a cosmetic overhaul would be much less of an undertaking than a mechanical restoration).
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
User avatar
CRail
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 8:27 am
Location: Eastie

Re: Status Of Equipment at BET

Postby 8th Notch » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:17 am

drvmusic wrote:
ck4049 wrote:It appears as though GP18 904 is now in the dead line at BET next to the load box in front of the 1132.


One of my favorites. :(

The last of them with 902 gone.


Oh I'm sure the realibility with the gensets will keep that thing around until it can't run no more ;)
8th Notch
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:23 pm

Re: Status Of Equipment at BET

Postby drvmusic » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:26 am

ck4049 wrote:I was told the 904 isn't "dead" dead, but it is in for it's 4-year inspections. Last time I checked the diesel house was quite full anyway so they probably wanted to put it out of the way so revenue units can get their turn in the shop first since they are of a higher priority.


That's great news :-) Thanks!
User avatar
drvmusic
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Status Of Equipment at BET

Postby ck4049 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:25 pm

The dead line at BET is quite crowded nowadays. The 1000, 1004, 1005, 1006, 1009, 1010, 1011, 1014, 1015, 1017, 1054, 1069 & 1118 are all out back out of service.
ck4049
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Somerville, MA

Re: Status Of Equipment at BET

Postby ST214 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:57 pm

ck4049 wrote:The dead line at BET is quite crowded nowadays. The 1000, 1004, 1005, 1006, 1009, 1010, 1011, 1014, 1015, 1017, 1054, 1069 & 1118 are all out back out of service.


:(

That last run of a screamer is getting closer and closer.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
User avatar
ST214
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:49 pm
Location: Cleveland Heights, OH

Re: Status Of Equipment at BET

Postby ACeInTheHole » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:57 pm

ck4049 wrote:The dead line at BET is quite crowded nowadays. The 1000, 1004, 1005, 1006, 1009, 1010, 1011, 1014, 1015, 1017, 1054, 1069 & 1118 are all out back out of service.

Somebody needs a new username. :-D
User avatar
ACeInTheHole
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:31 pm

Re: Status Of Equipment at BET

Postby kieran » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:45 pm

There seems to be a whole string of new cars on the line that used to lead to Assembly Square.

Just noticed it yesterday. Looks like a few tank cars.
kieran
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests