phantom train approaching announcements (Mansfield)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

phantom train approaching announcements (Mansfield)

Postby NRGeep » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:55 am

Was at Mansfield station last evening and I observed the sign and announcement state: "train approaching, please step behind yellow line" several times when no trains were approaching. Some kind of technical glitch or did it pick up some long ago New Haven ghost alcos? :wink:
NRGeep

Re: phantom train approaching announcements (Mansfield)

Postby RRCOMM » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:24 pm

The TAMS system works on a track circuit, if the track circuit is shunted or faulty it will fire it off. The station approach warnings are in fact "messages". It is considered a non vital system thats why its called TAMS (Train Approach MESSAGE System) not a WARNING system such as grade crossing. I didn't make this up it's what Amtrak, the FRA and the sign system supplier (Penta) came up with.

Sorry no EP-4 has been sighted (electric territory now). :-D
RRCOMM

Postby NRGeep » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:59 pm

RRCOMM wrote:The TAMS system works on a track circuit, if the track circuit is shunted or faulty it will fire it off. The station approach warnings are in fact "messages". It is considered a non vital system thats why its called TAMS (Train Approach MESSAGE System) not a WARNING system such as grade crossing. I didn't make this up it's what Amtrak, the FRA and the sign system supplier (Penta) came up with.

Sorry no EP-4 has been sighted (electric territory now). :-D

Interesting...thanks!
NRGeep

Postby diburning » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:52 pm

Is this circuit independent of the signal system?
diburning

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)