Subway station locations question

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Subway station locations question

Postby Yellowspoon » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:44 am

TrainManTy wrote:If you want to pay for the renovations, I'm sure the T would be happy to talk to you! :-)
Thank you for your sarcasm. My question is not that they should do that today, my question is why was that done in 1971? If the station was not moved in 1971, the costs to renovate/upgrade the station would have been about the same. My question is ... Why did it move at all?

Gerry6309 wrote:
Yellowspoon wrote:
Gerry6309 wrote: ... As for the southbound State St. platform, it should have its original name restored. The platform is centered on Milk St. and was placed where it is to avoid the sharp curve just to the north. If the station occupied the curve, sliding platforms would have been required ...
Yes, but if it were further north, say directly opposite the northbound platform, there would not be a curve or need for sliding platform(s).

At that location the platform is about 35 feet down, below the Blue Line and the southbound track is up against the property line. Little or nothing of the existing platforms extends under the Old State House - for obvious reasons. Look at the buildings on the west side of Washington St. there (both north and south of Court St.) and tell me what you think the cost in today's dollars to take them by eminent domain and demolish them would be? Then you have to excavate and underpin the Blue Line. The subway is the way it is because the Boston Transit Commission did not want to mess with the businesses there in 1901. The time to do it would have been when those parcels were being redeveloped in the sixties and seventies., but the MBTA had its focus elsewhere.
When the tunnel was dug 100+ years ago, I'm sure many stations took land. For example, the Winter/Summer station platforms reside under private land. I'm not saying that it should be done today, I'm asking why it was not done when the tunnel was originally constructed? For example, they could have dug the northbound tunnel another 15 feet lower and put the southbound platform over the northbound tracks (like they do now, at Milk Street).
Yellowspoon

Re: Subway station locations question

Postby Gerry6309 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:52 pm

Winter St. Station is mostly under Washington St. The building at the corner of Winter and Washington was taken to build the lobby and the exit stairs. Almost every other location used public land. There is just enough land beneath Washington St. to allow the two opposite platforms at the two more southerly stations. In each case the southbound platform cants in from the instersection, as does the northbound. At LaGrange St. the tunnel is already on its way under the east block to ready itself for the Oak St. Portal. The city was very judicious in building the subways, as the downtown land was already valuable. All of the other entrance lobbies were constructed under adjoining streets with only the stairways cut into the buildings.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)