MBTA police officer accused of "highly offensive" web page

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA police officer accused of "highly offensive" web page

Postby MEC407 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:31 pm

News video from WCVB Channel 5 Boston:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqmybRgHVg4
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
MEC407

Re: MBTA police officer accused of "highly offensive" web pa

Postby BandA » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:06 pm

I haven't looked at his facebook but this seems way, way over the top! They showed another example of an officer who cracked a single tweet joke (that wasn't that bad and had a grain of truth) which led to his reassignment, when he probably deserved a verbal reprimand. There was another case recently in the news where a whistle-blower was retaliated against, and nothing was done about it. Bottom line is I think there are problems at the T police, based on these news reports as I don't have any first hand experience with them. Which brings up the point: why does the T have it's own police force, why aren't they merged with the state police? That might be a good way to bring in more professionalism.
BandA

Postby millerm277 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:13 pm

BandA wrote:Which brings up the point: why does the T have it's own police force, why aren't they merged with the state police? That might be a good way to bring in more professionalism.

Most transit/major transportation agencies have their own police force. Off the top of my head there are: Amtrak Police, NJ Transit Police, Port Authority Police, Massport Police, MTA Police, and I'm sure many more.

I would presume the reason is because such agencies have very specialized policing needs.
millerm277

Postby diburning » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:58 pm

Not to be a backseat moderator here, but what does this have to do with the MBTA's rail operations?
diburning

Postby MEC407 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:08 pm

The description of this forum reads as follows:

Discussion relating to the commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (Boston Metro Area).

The officer in question is employed by the MBTA and his job, apparently, is to patrol rail lines and rail stations in the Roxbury area. So he's certainly a part of MBTA's rail operations, and there have been probably hundreds of posts in this forum over the years regarding the MBTA Police (just as there have been many posts about Amtrak Police in the Amtrak Forum, Boston & Maine Railroad Police in the Pan Am Forum, etc).
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
MEC407

Postby CRail » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:34 pm

Transit Police operations are not any more related to Rail Operations than Bus Operations are, and a discussion about an employee's facebook page (even if it belongs to a Rail worker), is even more irrelevant. Concerns about employees are to be expressed to the Authority, not to this forum. This type of disrespectful employee banter gives us all a bad image. This discussion is not appropriate here.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)