MBTA on the Stoney Brook?!

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA on the Stoney Brook?!

Postby B&M 1227 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:29 pm

From another list-

Umm...a MBTA train with a new unit 2010 pushing just passed cpf 307 in Westford headed east at 1:16 pm.

Anyone know what the story is? This train is 4 miles east of Willows on the freight only Stony Brook?
Did we ever hear a music sweeter than the one that thrills, as it floats along the Deerfield, as it echoes o'er the hills.
How we watch that little engine as it stalks across the plain; was there ever music sweeter, was there ever sight completer, than the coming of the train?
-E. A. Fitch
B&M 1227

Re: MBTA on the Stoney Brook?!

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:47 pm

B&M 1227 wrote:From another list-

Umm...a MBTA train with a new unit 2010 pushing just passed cpf 307 in Westford headed east at 1:16 pm.

Anyone know what the story is? This train is 4 miles east of Willows on the freight only Stony Brook?

Fitchburg weekend outage and obviously some need to shuttle equipment. There's no revenue service to Fitchburg this weekend because the line is shut inbound of Brandeis for construction. That's their only physical means of moving equipment out of East Fitchburg layover to a different northside locale without taking the 5+ hour detour to Worcester then back north over the Grand Junction. They've probably got Pan Am's permission to use the Stony Brook on weekends through the balance of these construction outages.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby sery2831 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:14 pm

There was a Disaster Drill in Acton this AM. That was the train returning. Due to the track work it operated from Acton via the Stony Brook.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby TrainManTy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:49 pm

sery2831 wrote:There was a Disaster Drill in Acton this AM. That was the train returning. Due to the track work it operated to and from Acton via the Stony Brook.

I was a participant in the drill. The scenario was a collision between a westbound train and a pickup truck at the Arlington Street crossing, with simulated injuries aboard the train. I believe there were around 85 volunteer passengers, 35 of whom (including me) had various "injuries" ranging from simple pain to simulated broken bones and lacerations. Special effects makeup was applied liberally by makeup artists for added realism for the first responders.

Keolis posted this video from the drill on Twitter:
http://vimeo.com/106759446
Tyler

All posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak for any organizations on this board.
TrainManTy

Postby ns3010 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:55 pm

I was there as well, but acting as a non-injured passenger. There was a man in my car who was not able to walk off the train himself due to his "injuries," and had to be evacuated out of the window. They used dummies to simulate actually removing the man through the window, due to safety reasons. (Funny tidbit, we were told to make sure responders did not remove passengers through the windows of the Rotems, because they do not have replacements for them...). Keolis tweeted a photo of the window evacuation:

ns3010

Postby b&m 1566 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:10 pm

Does a crew member from Pan Am have to be on board the commuter rail trains when on the Stony Brook, or are there qualified crews from Keolis to run on that line?
b&m 1566

Postby GP40MC1118 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:31 pm

Few are qualified. Maybe only the regular work train crew for now.
Keolis had to buy a PAR "Pilot"

D
GP40MC1118

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)