Weekend Service Restoration on the South Side Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Weekend Service on Dorchester Branch?

Postby TomNelligan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:25 pm

Newburyport is a second example of a rail service restoration that stopped short of a tourist-friendly downtown. I understand the importance of easily accessible park-and-ride lots for weekday commuters, as in the Route 1 location of the current Newburyport station and the Kingston sand pit off of Route 3, but neither they nor Cordage is going to attract weekend leisure traffic headed for the waterfront neighborhoods. As an aside, when Newburyport service was first restored the town ran a summer weekend bus shuttle between the station and downtown, but that didn't last more than a season or two. Maybe it wasn't well publicized, or maybe the market just wasn't there.
TomNelligan

Postby Teamdriver » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:59 pm

" That 1-mile extension, single-track + adjacent trail, isn't expensive on its own. It could even deviate from the old downtown station site by swerving across Water St. instead of Lothrop St. for a platform smack at the Ferry Terminal"

No way , Hose. That would contaminate my serene resting rock in the marsh before the breakwater, how's a guy to commute with nature, if the train commutes by his hideaway.
Lo
Teamdriver

Postby Teamdriver » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:02 pm

TomNelligan wrote:Newburyport is a second example of a rail service restoration that stopped short of a tourist-friendly downtown. I understand the importance of easily accessible park-and-ride lots for weekday commuters, as in the Route 1 location of the current Newburyport station and the Kingston sand pit off of Route 3, but neither they nor Cordage is going to attract weekend leisure traffic headed for the waterfront neighborhoods. As an aside, when Newburyport service was first restored the town ran a summer weekend bus shuttle between the station and downtown, but that didn't last more than a season or two. Maybe it wasn't well publicized, or maybe the market just wasn't there.

Yes indeed , same same , but at least there is nearby Kitten's to take the curse off the walk.......
Teamdriver

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:19 pm

Teamdriver wrote:
how's a guy to commute with nature

Ride a horse. :-P
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby highgreen215 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:13 pm

Who owns the original ROW between Cordage and the original Plymouth station? Is it still railroad/MBTA/state property or was it sold off and built upon? If it's the latter, it might be too difficult to put back the rail.
highgreen215

Postby RRCOMM » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:44 pm

I was involved in the restoration of the Old Colony from the technical side of things. During meetings I heard that they were building the parking lot in the Kingston gravel pit and the expensive double track tunnel because the prefered option of the liquor warehouse on rte 3/3a was a minority owned business. They did not want to go through the political heat to take the land. I also understood that there was vocal NIMBY opposition by (moneyed) landowners and adjacent homeowners south of there. I seem to remember some kind of political deal / ROW transfer to make sure the railroad never got extended. This was at the same time that the MBTA was being held hostage by local towns to buy them fancy new fire trucks and other goodies! The MBTA was still struggling to get the Greenbush line through Hingham Center and was making all sorts of deals to quell the opposition. By the way, the underpass through Hingham Center cost $80 Million and now preserves the land above it reverently known to fellow railroaders as "The Hingham Historic Dumpster District".

So now do you see why we have a railroad that we can't afford to run?
RRCOMM

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:03 pm

highgreen215 wrote:Who owns the original ROW between Cordage and the original Plymouth station? Is it still railroad/MBTA/state property or was it sold off and built upon? If it's the latter, it might be too difficult to put back the rail.

It's entirely T-owned and landbanked. The trail is a standard revokable trail lease on a landbanked line.

So yes, they can re-extend the line should there ever be a need to.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby wicked » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:37 pm

When would weekend service begin on the Fairmount Line?
wicked

Postby NRGeep » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:26 am

wicked wrote:When would weekend service begin on the Fairmount Line?

And Saturday service to Needham?
NRGeep

Postby enterprise11 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:33 am

I haven't seen anything in the news media about this yet, but from talking to crews it seems that some job changes are coming. Is there a reason why they haven't publicly announced it, since it's allegedly going to be starting soon?
enterprise11

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:30 pm

word going around, and a strong word at that, is the planned weekend service may actually be put on hold for the time being
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby The EGE » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:22 pm

MBTA announced today that Plymouth/Kingston Line and Greenbush Line are getting weekend service, and Needham Line getting Saturday service, beginning on December 27th. Aaaaand nothing for the Fairmount Line.

http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/mbt ... n-3-lines/
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Weekend Service Restoration

Postby peconicstation » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:07 am

Greenbush and Plymouth/Kingston will have 7 day service restored, and Needham gains back Saturday.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... n_headline

Ken
peconicstation

Weekend CR to be restored

Postby atlantis » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:56 pm

According to the MBTA it's official: Weekend commuter rail to Greenbush, Kingston, and Plymouth will be restored as well as Saturday service restored to Needham
effective December 27, 2014. (http://www.mbta.com )
If Boston to Cape Cod rail service occurs in 2012 I will eat a jelly doughnut dipped in tomato sauce.
atlantis

Re: Weekend Service Restoration on the South Side Discussion

Postby sery2831 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:48 pm

Dorchester service will be starting the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)