Main Line Elevated Cars

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Main Line Elevated Cars

Postby Gerry6309 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:27 pm

WatertownCarBarn wrote:What was it about Haymarket North that damaged wheels?

Charliemta wrote:The right-angle (90 degree) turns at Causeway and Haverhill Streets, and Causeway and N Washington Streets were tough on the wheels.

That is true. but the wheel problems arrived AFTER those curves were eliminated. More likely, problems with slippery rail increased with the faster speeds on Haymarket-North line. This, in turn led to the use of Emergency braking at stations, which locked the wheels creating the flat spots. Also, short turn-around times at Oak Grove, after that station opened, led to the train being shut down and the operator out of the cab before the train stopped. Remember that we lost about a dozen 01100s over the years due to fires, accidents etc. There were barely enough cars to manage the service. Finally, leaves were more likely to accumulate on the rails than they were on the el, especially near Wellington and between Malden Ctr and Oak Grove.

The higher speed operation between North Station and Malden literally tore the cars apart, making them rattle like 01400s, accentuating the Din.

MTAegg: PM me an email address if you want some good quality 3/4 views of 4s and 6s. You can count the rivets yourself! Personally I prefer 7s and 8s with their deck roofs.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby Gerry6309 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:39 pm

The MTA Blue Egg wrote:The flat spot on the wheels of the 01100s seemed to show up shortly after the opening of the Haymarket North.
The roar they made on the Washington Street Elevated was deafening.
Gerry I remember the sliding platforms at Sullivan,out of service by my time.
I never saw them in operation. Must have made for intersting dwell times.

Mike

The sliding platforms were only needed for 8 car trains of older cars. These were discontinued when ridership fell near the end of WW II. They were reactivated at Sullivan for the 6 car trains of 01100s. After the maximum train size was cutback to 4 cars, they were again mothballed and never returned. I believe those at Sullivan were controlled by Tower A. They were pushed out by pneumatic pistons and pushed back by the train as it contacted a roller. Almost no effect on dwell time. (Remember the doors at the ends of the train never opened on the older cars)
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby highgreen215 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:16 pm

I recall a sliding platform at outbound Dudley as well, used at least into the early '50s.
highgreen215

Postby The MTA Blue Egg » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:46 am

0175 From St Rwy Jrnl Vol 29.jpg
It's interesting to note the evelution of the steel cars. The #3 cars came with cover strips over
the rivets on the body. It gave the apperance of board and batten construction of wooden
cars. Remember this was 1907 and the public was still leery of the safety of steel cars, so some
of the thinking at the time was to make them look like wood.
All subsequent orders for new cars eliminated the rivet covers, showing how public perception had
changed in regard to steel construction in a few years(#3's 1907, #4s 1911) and they proudly showed their
rivets indicating the safety of steel cars.
Steel was the way to go.
The pic of 0175 shows off the covers quite plainly whereas the pic of 0243 (#5 ACF 1913 but same as the#4s)
shows thier absence
Also note the lack of an anti-climber on 0175, the last order without them.
Still unproven tech at the time.
The pic of 0175 is from The Street Railway Journal.0243from Delaware Public Archives
Attachments
0243 Head On.jpg
The MTA Blue Egg

Postby The MTA Blue Egg » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:04 pm

I kind of got off my original post. The side view of 0210 is great but I'm also looking
for a platform side view. I'm looking to get the width of the brake wheel assembly. I'm drawing up
my own car plan, as the plans I have don't seem to match the photos, letterboards too wide, etc.
Thanks all for your help.
The MTA Blue Egg

Postby jonnhrr » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:10 pm

Do you have "When Boston Rode the El" in the Acadia Images of America series? P. 51 and p. 112 has a view of a #3 car, there may be others. Also fascinating shots of the building of the El.

I got to ride the El every weekday to school from 1962 to 1967. I also loved the 01100's. I don't think I ever sat in a seat, always at the front door looking out.Did get to ride in a train of #10's once in '62 or '63. My favorite view was standing at the Arborway watching a train of them pull out of Forest Hills and go clattering inbound towards Green St.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby The MTA Blue Egg » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:48 pm

I have that book, though I wish it were in a larger format, and the photos are great.
I think I rode on the 0900s also but I was only 5 when they were retired so not much memory of them.
I remember riding on the 01100s on hot summer days. As the train left Sullivan, bound for Everett,
the crew would open the train doors and let the breeze wash through the train. The motorman had the
cab door open to keep an eye on the open door, cigarette dangling from his mouth, as we flew down
the straight-away toward Everett Station. We would start to slow by the scrapyard and start to crawl as we reached
Corporation Way. The Guard would close everything up before the station stop.
Funny though how the motorman still had that cigarette as he closed the cab door.
Different world back then.

Mike
The MTA Blue Egg

Postby highgreen215 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:01 am

Back in the late '40s, on the 200s, 300s and 900s, I remember seeing the door guards riding outside between the cars, sitting on a sort of miniature hammock they clipped to the car. Probably felt good on a hot day but a bit dangerous as well - no OSHA in those days. Wonder if any still exist? Nice transit collector's item.
highgreen215

Postby The MTA Blue Egg » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:59 pm

Never saw any pictures of those, sounds like it must have been a nice ride though!
Alway been curious as to why the Elevated remove the headlights from all of the Main Line cars
and the Cambridge- Dorchester cars in the late 20s or early 30s.
I believe the #7 Main Line and #3 C-D were the last cars to arrive with that hardware.
Since I've read that the metal used on the roof was thin, I guessing that the fixture attachments were
rusting out and removing the lights was a cheaper way for the El to go.
I thought it changed the profile of the railroad roof cars.
The piping for the marker lights looks out of place.
The MTA Blue Egg

Postby highgreen215 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:38 pm

I've never seen them in pictures either. Anyone out there have one??
highgreen215

Postby StevieC48 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:28 am

I have seen one and they couldn't pay me enough to sit in between the cars on the el. The 1924 Blue Line cars had a drawbridge platform which dropped down so the guard would be safe when performing guard duties. Quick note the 1951 Blue Line cars had a seat that folded up when not in use nothing to stand on except the concrete platform on the ends of the cars. Correct me if I am wrong but the first full cab where the guards were protected were the Red Line 1400/1600's at the time. The blue and orange followed with the deliveries of the Blue Belles and Orange Blossoms.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby The MTA Blue Egg » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:33 pm

The 1963 01400s were the first Boston cars to feature the full width cabs, followed by the South Shore cars of 1969.
A dedicated cab didn't appear on the Main Line until the 01100s of '57. The designs of#1-10 cars featured "make-up" cabs in the vestibules.
You're correct that full cabs are on the #12 cars and all RT car orders since '63.
The first permanent cab area was on the 1911 #1 Cambridge Subway cars.
These cabs had doors that folded back over the control apparatus and seats that allowed passengers to sit in them when not in use.
Phone booth type cabs appeared on all Cambridge- Dorchester cars until the #5s and the 1924 and 1951 East Boston Tunnel cars
In fact it was possible to sit in the cabs of the rapid transit cars until the early '60s
I remember being very little sitting in an 01100 cab. The back panel slid down allowing
one to look in from outside the area. I was sitting in the cab and I hit something causing something ( I don't remember what) to make a bang!
It scared the daylights out of me and I swore I broke the train!
I never sat in a cab after that, in fact cab seating was abolished soon after!
I know I didn't break anything, but to this day I wonder.......................................

Mike
The MTA Blue Egg

Postby jonnhrr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:56 pm

I remember the one 0900 trip I had, the car had some kind of fold up cab, which kept coming open during the trip and the Motorman would try to close it back up.

We ended up running express Dudley to Forest Hills which was cool. Maybe the older cars couldn't keep up with the 01100's which seemed to accelerate pretty well.

Those full width cabs on the bluebirds definitely cramped my style as I pretty much rode every subway/el trip glued to the front door looking out at the track and watching the signals especially if it were rush hour and we had caught up to the train ahead. I also liked watching the timer signals they had on the El inbound at the S curve just before Dudley station. Some of the motormen had the timing down to a fine art where they would hit it just as it cleared.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby StevieC48 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:06 pm

Correct on the 0700's with a half cab as well as an 01100, the 0900's and their predecessors had to have the motorman's area close off the controller etc and allow passengers access to the third door on the car when not used as the control car. But the 01400's are the first with a full width cab, Also the extra cab in the 01500's to run as solo, which in my childhood never seen before but on the rare occasion I road a 3 car train a 01600 and single 01500. Can someone tell me if they seen or rode a single or photo.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby The MTA Blue Egg » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:37 pm

I never saw a 3 car South Shore train. I could never figure out the order for the single units. Maybe the MBTA's way of getting around the 2 Guard rule?
(One Guard for every 2 cars, trying to push the rule a bit by adding a third car?)
One Guard 3 cars, extra carrying capacity without the additional salary?
Odd number trains were common in earlier days. The Elevated routinely ran 3 and 5 car trains on the Main Line and 3 car trains in the Cambridge Subway.
Couldn't run odd rapid transit trains in the East Boston Tunnel though (married pairs), and obviously not counting the Center Entrance cars used before conversion.
Still looking for cab photos of #3-6 Main Line Cars.
I also need to know how far the brake wheel set back from it's center hub.
I'd like my car drawing to be as accurate as I can make it.
Last edited by The MTA Blue Egg on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The MTA Blue Egg

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)