NEC platforms at Readville

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: NEC platforms at Readville

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:28 am

MBTA1070 wrote:I don't even get why there would be platforms there. They are rarely used. But I agree, signs are needed there.

Way back in the day, mainline traffic used to stop here in Readville. Readville looked a lot different back then than it currently looks today....the costs of ripping up the platforms aren't worth it...Check out some of the Clark pictures @ Back Bay station on tracks 1&3, you'll see what Readville used to look like, times were changing rapidly with the popularity of the automobile. But I also agree, the signs on tracks 2 and 3 need to be removed, and have something state that "no trains stop here" either go to Track 5 (Franklin Branch) or Track 4 (Readville Shuttle)
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:40 am

MBTA1070 wrote:I don't even get why there would be platforms there. They are rarely used. But I agree, signs are needed there.

Should the Franklin get double-tracked through the junction the current outbound NEC platform would revert back to its former status as an island platform serving inbound Franklin riders, and thus see full-time service again. You can easily see what that configuration used to be by where the empty 2nd track berth sits. And also how much further north that island went past the Milton St. overpass. Would be much better than that tiny platform currently used for Franklin inbound (which would have to get blown up because it's sitting on the 2nd track berth). Especially if they built a ped ramp up to Milton St. from the far end to spread the foot traffic around a little better.

Unlike that island, the NEC inbound platform is pretty much useless. But it has utility as a walkway to the parking lot (though likewise could use a ped ramp up to Milton St.), so whenever the island and Franklin outbound platforms get raised they'll probably do up this one too. Keeps the pedestrians out of the track area and preserves the stop as an emergency drop-off for service disruptions.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby MBTA3247 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:14 am

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Should the Franklin get double-tracked through the junction the current outbound NEC platform would revert back to its former status as an island platform serving inbound Franklin riders, and thus see full-time service again.

The Franklin and NEC platforms are at different levels, so the NEC platform would still have no service.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby Diverging Route » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:50 am

Well here we go! A real use for the NEC Readville platform!

Jul 19-Aug 1: The outbound platform at Hyde Park will be closed due to bridge work between Hyde Park & Readville Stations on the Prov/Sto Line

During the following weekends, outbound passengers at Hyde Park Station will board outbound trains from the inbound platform:

- Saturday, July 19, 2014, through Sunday, July 20, 2014
- Saturday, July 27, 2014, through Sunday, July 27, 2014

During the weekdays listed below, all outbound trains that normally stop at Hyde Park will instead stop at Readville Station on the Providence/Stoughton Line. Passengers desiring outbound trains beyond Readville should be at Readville Station on the scheduled time listed for Hyde Park. Outbound passengers who usually exit the train at Hyde Park should instead exit at Readville Station on the Providence/Stoughton Line. These passengers will be provided free transportation back to Hyde Park on MBTA Bus Route 32 by showing their train ticket to the bus operator.

- Monday, July 21, 2014, through Friday, July 25, 2014
- Monday, July 28, 2014, through Friday, August 1, 2014

Affected stops:
Hyde Park
Diverging Route

Postby ohalloranchris » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:34 am

I noticed this morning that construction style lights had been strung along the NEC Readville platform. I assume this is for their temporary use, but I don't understand why the lights were needed. The platform already has permanent lighting in place.
ohalloranchris

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:45 am

Boston railfan wrote:Ah man, all the times I went to readville to railfan they didn't stop ugh :( and of course the times they do I didn't know about. That must've been an interesting sight to see trains stop on the nec platforms.

It's not *quite* as rare as you'd think. Temp disruptions and station maintenance elsewhere give Readville at least a couple cameos per year. The problem is it's usually such short-notice you can't plan a railfanning trip around it.

Platforms are still open to wander around, though, so it remains one of the system's best railfanning spots and photo locations. Well worth the trip if you want to bring your camera since there's such extremely high-frequency movements through the area. All manner of NEC and Amtrak equipment, Franklin trains, Fairmount trains, non-revenue moves, freight trains, and CSX puttering around the yard during daylight.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)