Transition from MBCR to Keolis: Transfer of Assets

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Transition from MBCR to Keolis: Transfer of Assets

Postby Diverging Route » Fri May 02, 2014 7:27 pm

There are many issues I can think of with the upcoming transition of operating companies.

One that comes to mind is assets owned by MBCR. For example, there are dozens of highway vehicles that have "MBCR" stickers on them. Are these owned by the MBTA, and operated by MBCR? If so, it's pretty easy. But if they're owned by MBCR, what happens to them? Is there a side deal that transfers them at fair market value? Or does MBCR sell them on eBay :wink:

And what about the leases of GMTX 2217 and 2232 (leased directly by MBCR)? Will they be returned by MBCR to their lessors, or can the leases be transferred to Keolis?

Similarly, MBCR has office space - will the leases be transferred, or will Keolis come up with their own space for training, etc.? And what about the physical property (furniture, computers, etc.) that presumably MBCR will not have long-term use for? I can fully understand Keolis wanting their own computer systems, but low-tech surplus assets of MBCR should be available.
Diverging Route

Re: Transition from MBCR to Keolis: Transfer of Assets

Postby Dick H » Fri May 02, 2014 8:59 pm

A series of photos today by David Hutchinson on NERAIL photos,
indicated that the two GATX and three ex MARC unit leases have
been terminated and all those units will soon be leaving the property
Photo of the GATX units.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... age=2&key=
Dick H

Postby Hoopyfrood » Fri May 02, 2014 10:39 pm

I don't know if it's the case with all of them, but I started noticing a couple of years ago that at least some of the MBCR vehicles had markings on them implying or stating they were leased. I would guess that MBCR would simply return them to the company that owns them, and Keolis will be left to get new trucks on their own.

For things like furniture, it's hard to say who owns all of it, but I'd think that the MBTA owns a majority of it, at least.
Hoopyfrood

Postby OrangeCrush » Sat May 03, 2014 3:38 pm

Depends on the type of asset(s), but generally the terms of such transfers (as applicable) would be found in the Instructions to Proposers/Request for Proposals: http://www.mbta.com/business_center/bid ... p?id=26241.
OrangeCrush

Postby BerndinMA » Thu May 15, 2014 11:42 am

How is the transfer going on the ground? Still lots of backbiting from MBCR or are they just getting it done as it is a done deal. When do the uniforms change?
BerndinMA

Postby deathtopumpkins » Thu May 15, 2014 8:23 pm

BerndinMA wrote:How is the transfer going on the ground? Still lots of backbiting from MBCR or are they just getting it done as it is a done deal. When do the uniforms change?

Presumably July 1, since that is the contract date.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby ck4049 » Fri May 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Keolis will probably also have to get new first aid kits for the coaches and locomotives since all of those are owned by MBCR.
ck4049

Postby BRail » Tue May 20, 2014 9:25 pm

Everything from pencils to vehicles that were purchased by MBCR are owned by th MBTA with fe exceptions. Ther ar some leased vehicles that ar not part of th MBTA contract
BRail

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)