Physical connections between different transit lines

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:To receive new coach orders?

That might be exactly it.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby octr202 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:59 am

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:Nobody mentioned it, but there is a connection between the Orange Line and the Medford Branch, which connects to the Haverhill Line. So theoretically, the Orange Line has direct access to the national rail network. However, this hasn't been used in god-knows-how-long. It was cleared of all brush about 3 or 4 years ago, but it has since started to grow back in.

Going to need a lot of agent orange (no pun) for it to run again. Were the 01200s delivered through there in 1980?

I need to make a mental note to pay attention again on the way home tonight. I think that connecting track has recently been cleared out (again). I'll try to stare at it from my Haverhill train tonight.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby CRail » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:24 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:To outsource repairs? To receive new coach orders?

Precisely. Everything wasn't carried on flatbeds back then. Equipment was delivered on its own wheels back then (Seashore even has cars that went up from Boston on the B&M). Being a narrow gauge railroad, this is the most practical way to get your equipment on and off the island. In modern times, we use highway monsters because/so physical connections have withered into non-existence.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby octr202 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Can't believe I've missed this, but there's considerable work going on on the Orange Line connection in Medford. All the brush is cleared, and ties are being replaced. I missed getting a glimpse of the south end to see if it is connected to the Orange Line side.
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:37 am

octr202 wrote:Can't believe I've missed this, but there's considerable work going on on the Orange Line connection in Medford. All the brush is cleared, and ties are being replaced. I missed getting a glimpse of the south end to see if it is connected to the Orange Line side.

Makes me wonder if they're preparing to have the new fleet delivered this way. Frankly, I'm surprised they don't use this connection to move equipment such as the ballast tamper between the Orange Line and Green Line. Is it really that much easier and cost effective to call in a flatbed and crane, securely and carefully load it up, truck it over, then carefully lift it with the crane again, and rerail it? Just seems like too much work. If the Brickbottom GLX yard really has a rail network connection, it will make even more sense to maintain the connection.
BostonUrbEx

Postby MBTA3247 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:44 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:
octr202 wrote:Can't believe I've missed this, but there's considerable work going on on the Orange Line connection in Medford. All the brush is cleared, and ties are being replaced. I missed getting a glimpse of the south end to see if it is connected to the Orange Line side.

Makes me wonder if they're preparing to have the new fleet delivered this way.

Seems a bit premature, as there'll be several years for the brush to grow back in again before the first new cars arrive.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby CRail » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Clearing brush isn't exactly a major task, and it's necessary for making longer term repairs such as tie replacements.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby sery2831 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:43 pm

Maybe they are going to bring in some MOW equipment for the track work at Assembly Square?
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Gerry6309 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:38 pm

sery2831 wrote:The Grand Junction runs from Beacon Park Yard currently TO Everett, CRail is saying the line from Everett to Chelsea is abandoned. Not sure where the Saugus Branch comes into play.

I think some of the confusion comes from the fact that back in the day, the Grand Junction had its own track all the way from the B&M yards across the Mystic River Draw and on to Chelsea and East Boston. The new high level bridge is shared with the commuter rail, though freight operations over the GJ are rare. As for the Saugus Branch, the junction was very close to the old drawbridge. It then paralleled the Western Division for some distance before turning east across Malden. It was a B&M branch, and had nothing to do with the Grand Junction (B&A).
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:05 pm

So is the Red Line really the only line which has never had a connection to the national rail network (or any network other than the Mattappan Line)? It just surprises me especially because it's primary yard has ample locations for a connection. Also, did the Blue Line connection exist prior to the delivery of the previous fleet? Or was it put in for that purpose, and then removed after seeing no use?
BostonUrbEx

Postby octr202 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:53 am

An update regarding the Orange Line connection in Medford that I've been forgetting to post:

Track is intact as far as I can see from the Haverhill main. Looks like only a couple of wheel stops and some piles of ties (as well as a fence gate) blocking the Orange Line side from the railroad side. Outside the fence line, looks like about every 5th or 6th tie has been replaced. I can't see what the switch to the Medford branch looks like from the train. Still a couple small track critters on the scene as well.
octr202

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:41 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:So is the Red Line really the only line which has never had a connection to the national rail network (or any network other than the Mattappan Line)? It just surprises me especially because it's primary yard has ample locations for a connection. Also, did the Blue Line connection exist prior to the delivery of the previous fleet? Or was it put in for that purpose, and then removed after seeing no use?

The Red Line connected to the national rail network via the High Speed Line and a connection with the Milton Branch at Central Avenue. There were also multiple connections to the trolley network besides the one to the High Speed Line: Eliot Shops-Bennett St Carhouse, Codman Yard to the Dorchester Ave line (some of the latter's track was still visible in the yard's driveway as of a few years ago).
MBTA3247

Postby Gerry6309 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:53 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:So is the Red Line really the only line which has never had a connection to the national rail network (or any network other than the Mattappan Line)? It just surprises me especially because it's primary yard has ample locations for a connection. Also, did the Blue Line connection exist prior to the delivery of the previous fleet? Or was it put in for that purpose, and then removed after seeing no use?

There was a cross connection between the Mattapan Secondary and the CD Line just south of Columbia Station from 1962-63 and again from 1969-70 for car deliveries. It was also used to send 15 or so 0700s to the future cabot yard for scrapping ca. 1969, and to start 0719 on its way to Maine.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:01 am

octr202 wrote:An update regarding the Orange Line connection in Medford that I've been forgetting to post:

Track is intact as far as I can see from the Haverhill main. Looks like only a couple of wheel stops and some piles of ties (as well as a fence gate) blocking the Orange Line side from the railroad side. Outside the fence line, looks like about every 5th or 6th tie has been replaced. I can't see what the switch to the Medford branch looks like from the train. Still a couple small track critters on the scene as well.

Tried to poke around the area, this morning. The Medford Branch is clear up to Middlesex Ave, with a well beaten path alongside the track, presumably vehicles getting to and from the work site this way. That warehouse that was recently built in the wedge of property between the Medford Branch and the Orange Line had an unwelcoming gate that said "STOP - Private Property", but anyone could have driven in if they felt like it.

Went down Craddock Ave with nothing of note (other than the lack of trees reaching over the top of the sound wall, which must have all been removed from the other side.

Went to the 7th St access gates where I found two MBTA pickup trucks and several employee vehicles, as well as a little, yellow, rusted contraption for track work on the section of track on the publicly accessible side of the fence. The north gate (leading to the Medford Branch, as opposed to towards the Wellington Yard) was wide open and an MBTA supervisor was standing there. It looked pretty clear in the immediate area of the access gate, but I didn't have a full view down the track towards the branch line. There were also a handful of what looked like brand new ties.

Later I might see what's visible from the Rivers Edge Dr side, and check out where the line dips under the junction. I'll get a report of what's going on that you can't see when passing under.
BostonUrbEx

Postby StevieC48 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:27 pm

Someone mentioned the connection to the Medford Branch being cleared for possible future deliveries. The last cars delivered on their own wheels via rail road for Boston was the Blue and Orange Line Hawker Siddley cars. But the LRV's were also delivered via rail on flat cars and off loaded with a ramp. Now a days all new transit equipment are trucked in usually by Silk Road Transportation NY.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)