Tremont St. Tunnel Renewed as Theatre/Art Space

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Tremont St. Tunnel Renewed as Theatre/Art Space

Postby B&Mguy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:36 pm

I don't think this subject has come up on any other threads, but if it has, plase remove this one. I saw on Boston.com wire that there's a proposal floating around from Emerson to convert the abandoned Tremont St. tunnel into an underground theatre. Obviously this is nothing more than an idea at this time, but it did make me wonder if the MBTA would ever entertain such an idea? Do they think that someday they'll want to reuse the tunnel for transit purposes, or would they be okay leasing the space out?
B&Mguy

Re: Tremont St. Tunnel Renewed as Theatre/Art Space

Postby Mcoov » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:53 pm

They grew mushrooms in the Broadway Trolley Tunnel, I can imagine the Tremont tunnel being used as a theater, so long as modifications are kept to a minimum.
Mcoov

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:54 am

B&Mguy wrote:Do they think that someday they'll want to reuse the tunnel for transit purposes, or would they be okay leasing the space out?

That depends if they plan on putting anyone in the agency who is competent. They wanted to scrap the tunnel and then carve out a new tunnel that was big enough for buses, so I'm not holding by breath, but it sure would be nice and convenient.

The tunnel "art gallery"/"museum"/"theatre" thing was floated twice in the past few years, I think, by two different groups. It would be interesting, but how do you maintain access and egress, improve ventilation, and eliminate leaks to make it more suitable to anything other than a transit tunnel? I don't see it happening very easily.

Hopefully someone comes along soon and says, "Hey, morons, let's use this tunnel for the Washington St corridor and as a bypass to eliminate Copley Junction."
BostonUrbEx

Postby CRail » Thu May 01, 2014 9:54 pm

The Authority is a self governing agency, but it's certainly not self controlled! The decision to let the tunnel remain dormant is not solely their own. While, for numerous reasons (some legit, some not so much), the tunnel won't be reactivated in 2014, there are some (of the more intelligent category I suppose you'd agree) who wish to preserve it as it is to maintain the opportunity. This far sighted approach will see to it, I expect, that "F Line to Dudley Via Park" will some day not just be the clever screen name of one of our fellow members.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Fri May 02, 2014 2:55 pm

I hope they dont do this and hold the tunnel for future rail development.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby novitiate » Sat May 03, 2014 11:25 am

I'm kind of confused how converting the tunnel for theatre/art space would even work- my understanding is that you don't even have a level tunnel, the two tracks split and intertwine as to have two sets of tracks at the former portal (now gone, of course)... even if you dressed it up, how would this be a worthwhile art space or theatre compared to what Emerson already has? Seems like it'd just be a short-term novelty, whereas returning transit service would actually benefit people :P
novitiate

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)