Commuter Rail Tickets Via Smart Phone Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Commuter Rail Tickets Via Smart Phone Discussion

Postby sery2831 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:51 pm

The phone does not need to be connected to cell phone service or wifi to use the ticket. Only to purchase the ticket, which should be done before you board the train.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby wicked » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:04 pm

I used the app for the first time today.

Purchasing experience: Very easy. Entered in some data, quickly looked up my stations, ticket was bought in two minutes.

One thing I was interested about was how the T would make sure a ticket wasn't reused. Once you activate the ticket, you have 90 minutes to use it. In theory, I suppose you could go from point A to point B and back again, if the conductor didn't look very closely, but the e-ticket also does list the originating and destination stations.

One frustrating thing: As I was buying my ticket to go home, a call came in just after I'd hit the confirm purchase button. Even though I declined the call, the purchase process was terminated. I had to go through it all again. I'm hoping they can address that quirk in another build.
wicked

Postby tvachon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:26 am

So, it's March 7th, coming up the end of the first three months (in my opinion the definition of "early" in terms if the year) and the update to allow monthly passes with subway access is no where to be seen or even an update on it.

We have seen fare gates all over the system converted to non-pass through which seemed to be an indicator, but the commuter rail connections have been like this for months. Will we ever see the full monthly pass in 2013?
tvachon

Postby tvachon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:41 am

This seems like its dead in the water for monthly passes with subway/bus transfer. The new press release states no transfers and the faq's doesn't mention "coming soon" anymore.
tvachon

Postby MBTA3247 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:09 pm

Gee, what a surprise.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby deathtopumpkins » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:25 am

Is the mTicket app down for anyone else this morning? All I can get on it is "Could not connect to the server" errors. Had to actually buy a paper ticket for the first time in forever.

Things like this are why I'm still wary of ever putting a monthly pass on the app - it's not 100% reliable, always leaving you with the need for a backup. Good thing I had money.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby sery2831 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:55 am

Not sure about an outage but as long as you have made the purchase before you board(not stressed in the APP), you do not need any sort of connection to use your ticket. So if you have a monthly pass it will always work.
sery2831

Postby deathtopumpkins » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:25 pm

sery2831 wrote:Not sure about an outage but as long as you have made the purchase before you board(not stressed in the APP), you do not need any sort of connection to use your ticket. So if you have a monthly pass it will always work.

Good point regarding the monthlies - I hadn't thought of that!

I don't normally have tickets pre-purchased for when I don't have a monthly (like right now) though. Maybe it'd be a good idea to start...
Call me Connor or DTP

deathtopumpkins

Postby sery2831 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:09 am

You do purchase it before you board though? Conductors do not have time to wait for phone purchases, it is actually requested you activate the ticket as soon as you sit down.
sery2831

Postby ns3010 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:08 am

No problems yesterday afternoon. Bought my ticket at about 4:30 and activated it about 10-15 minutes later.
ns3010

Postby deathtopumpkins » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:56 pm

sery2831 wrote:You do purchase it before you board though? Conductors do not have time to wait for phone purchases, it is actually requested you activate the ticket as soon as you sit down.

Oh of course. Going inbound I usually buy it while at the station waiting for the train, or before I leave the house. Going outbound I usually buy it either on the subway or while waiting at North Station. Then activate it as soon as I'm in a seat.

I just meant I don't purchase tickets until it's time for me to go, rather than buying a bunch in advance and keeping them on my phone and using as needed.
Call me Connor or DTP

deathtopumpkins

Postby diburning » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:35 am

I used the app last week. Although I don't think MBCR had anything to do with the app, it shows up on my statement as "MBCR CMT RL TKT" with the address as "LOCAL SUBURBAN COMMUTER PASSENGER TRANSPORATION-FERRIES" and the phone number as the MBTA's main phone number (617-222-3200).
diburning

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)