North Station CR to Subway Connection

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

North Station CR to Subway Connection

Postby Arlington » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Archboston.org has photos from the latest plans for the new towers at North Station on the site of the old Garden.

I've taken a picture and mapped (in dotted green) the "best" connecting path for a morning commuter arriving by CR and transferring via the common Green-Orange inbound platform. Is it as truly awful as I make it out?

If you try to take your old path, note that
(1) You'll cross an active loading dock
(2) You'll find the doors to the headhouse gone when you get there.

Why aren't they being made to proffer a tunnel under their loading dock (putting todays' "Legend's Way" walk underground) or to at least get the tops of the escalators somehow "aligned" with the natural vectors between Subway and Commuter?

2i25u39.jpg
North Station (80 Causeway Plans) with "best" connecting circulation pattern shown
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Re: North Station CR to Subway Connection

Postby Arlington » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:42 pm

Here (in Orange) is what they should have been made to offer (at a minimum)...and they lose one (of 7) loading slots (original renderings only showed 2)
NorthStationPathsAwfulvsBetter.jpg
North Station...Demand the straight connection!
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby Eliphaz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:56 pm

Why not? because.
For 100 years or more one has had to take one's life in one's hands to cross Causeway street to get on the el/T/subway.
Then too, remember through the entire Fleet center era of the prior decade, the commuter waiting area of North station was a truely aweful low ceiling-ed narrow neck, the hell on earth line at the DD - what sadist thought that was a good idea - and God help the working man if there was a weekday event going on (remembering a tuesday when some christian inspirational speaker filled the place with a clueless throng of phillistines which let out at 3:30 , what a downer for both crowds - one crowd too many). I need not mention the one and only public toilet available, and the line that formed for it...
When the El came down and causeway and canal streets was suddenly sunlit, and the smell of pis evaporated, North Station commuters and North end panhandlers alike were dizzy with the feeling of liberation...still had to cross the steet..."FREE BOSTON HERALD!!!"
I grit my teeth with glee at that narrow pathway round that corner to the proposed underpass to the T stop - it is just perfectly in the tradition of how the B&M and its successors, and the MTA and its successor have treated their patrons at North Station for decades.

edit to add, my path was a hard right and a stiff up hill walk to the Bowdoin st. Blue line stop...I know off topic
Eliphaz

Postby sery2831 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:28 pm

Politics is why. The current head house on the garden foot print was originally going to be incorporated into a new train station. The MBTA had rights to the ground level to whatever was built on the former Garden site. Since years of no activity and the owners of the Garden wanting that land for their use, they made a deal with the T. The owners of the Garden offered to build a station for the T if the T would give up its rights out front. The T also lost the revenue rights to the vendors in the station. So what is there will be all we will ever get for a train station. But watch the area be developed with retail space... They will make everyone walk through the retail space to get to the trains.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Arlington » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:06 am

Somebody is proposing to waste money on re-orienting the escalators to Causeway, so I've revised the serpentine path to show a counter-clockwise spiral (you'll do your U turn below ground, not at street level. You're welcome).
NS-GroundFloor3.png
Blue=Today; Green=Proposed; Orange=As it Should Be
Arlington

Postby cpf354 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:35 am

To stray slightly off topic; it would have been be nice if they could have figured out a way to keep event crowds separate from the station. I don't know how its done at Penn Station and Madison Square Garden in New York, which I think are at separate levels. But to mix event crowds with commuters has always been lousy. The Garden goers take over the waiting room seating, which isn't even adequate for commuters at evening rush hour.
cpf354

Postby deathtopumpkins » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:06 am

The main difference is that there (and elsewhere) the station concourse and venue concourse are separate levels, whereas at North Station / the Garden they're the same level. That is definitely my least favorite thing about North Station. It's so hard to pick your way through all the sports fans or concertgoers milling around, especially if you're running to catch a train.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)