farewell to Waverley loop

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

farewell to Waverley loop

Postby TomNelligan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:31 pm

Well, it hadn't been used by trolleys since 1958, but after all these years the visible streetcar rails at the bus platform in Waverley Square in Belmont have been removed as part of the town's general reconstruction of Trapelo Road and the square's parking lot. I suspect that the other fragments of streetcar route 73 that are poking through the broken pavement by the golf course will follow shortly.
TomNelligan

Re: farewell to Waverley loop

Postby B&Mguy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:10 pm

Wow, I remember photographing Waverly Square in the late 1990s and thinking it was so neat that you could see the outlines of the trolley tracks under the pavement that hadn't been used in 40 years! Amazing that they survived under there for almost another 20 years!
B&Mguy

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:25 pm

Huh, I was just there in the fall or early winter taking pictures. Glad I caught some pictures of the rails peaking through before they got torn out. They were so close to the surface in some parts, that you could see lines of rust rising up through the pavement.
BostonUrbEx

Postby BandA » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:04 pm

Shows how well constructed the roads used to be, with cement under asphalt. Lasts 4-5 times longer between major work than current practice.
BandA

Postby rethcir » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:25 pm

Maybe more a testament to how neglected the roads have been in Belmont! :-D

Funny how you can snap an axle on a street where the average house price is 900k+
rethcir

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)