Physical connections between different transit lines

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby Tracer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:18 am

Do the green line, red, blue etc. have any physical connections between them? Not sure if any of the lines share any mow equipment or something.

I think this was asked a while ago but i couldnt find the thread.

Thanks!
User avatar
Tracer
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Re: Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby sery2831 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:28 am

Yes there is a thread, but I do not have time to search for it at the moment... MoW equipment is shared, but is trucked from line to line. All the MoW equipment is maintained in a garage near Sullivan Square/Charlestown bus garage.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
User avatar
sery2831
 
Posts: 5127
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Manchester, NH

Re: Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby TrainManTy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:32 am

Additionally, a good chunk of MOW equipment is high-rail equipped road vehicles.

There once was a connection between today's Blue and Red Lines down Cambridge Street from Bowdoin to the Longfellow Bridge. It was used to move Blue Line cars to the Red Line shops, since the former didn't yet have a shop of its own. (The color-coded names, of course, were not applied to these lines yet.)
Tyler

All posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak for any organizations on this board.
User avatar
TrainManTy
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Worcester, MA

Re: Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby The EGE » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:14 pm

None of the lines have direct connections except for the Red Line to the A-M Line at Codman Yard. The Green Line has a still-viable connection to the Worcester Line at Riverside; it was used in 1996 to run commuter rail trains when the Central Subway was flooded. The Orange Line used to have a connection at the Medford Branch overpass, but that's OOS. Blue Line has no connection to anything else.

The Green Line will likely get a connection to the larger rail network at the new carhouse as part of GLX.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
User avatar
The EGE
 
Posts: 2452
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:16 pm
Location: Waiting for the C Branch

Re: Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby ns3010 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:25 pm

TrainManTy wrote:Additionally, a good chunk of MOW equipment is high-rail equipped road vehicles.

There once was a connection between today's Blue and Red Lines down Cambridge Street from Bowdoin to the Longfellow Bridge. It was used to move Blue Line cars to the Red Line shops, since the former didn't yet have a shop of its own. (The color-coded names, of course, were not applied to these lines yet.)


I'm guessing that when the connection was severed, short sections were left attached to the Blue Line, leaving what is now the Bowdoin tail tracks?
User avatar
ns3010
 
Posts: 1961
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: MP 226.5

Re: Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby RailBus63 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:49 pm

ns3010 wrote:
TrainManTy wrote:Additionally, a good chunk of MOW equipment is high-rail equipped road vehicles.

There once was a connection between today's Blue and Red Lines down Cambridge Street from Bowdoin to the Longfellow Bridge. It was used to move Blue Line cars to the Red Line shops, since the former didn't yet have a shop of its own. (The color-coded names, of course, were not applied to these lines yet.)


I'm guessing that when the connection was severed, short sections were left attached to the Blue Line, leaving what is now the Bowdoin tail tracks?


Correct.
User avatar
RailBus63
 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 1:48 pm

Re: Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:48 pm

sery2831 wrote:Yes there is a thread, but I do not have time to search for it at the moment... MoW equipment is shared, but is trucked from line to line. All the MoW equipment is maintained in a garage near Sullivan Square/Charlestown bus garage.


There have been several John,
2005
Rapid Transit/Commuter Rail track connections
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=17320&p=165877&hilit=connections#p165877

Early 2006
Physical connections from commuter rail to rapid transit?
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=25111&p=247195&hilit=connections#p247195

Mid 2006
Commuter rail and rapid transit physical connections?
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=34007&p=339657&hilit=connections#p339657

late 2006
Red Line splits, branches, and connections
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=33359&p=333262&hilit=connections#p333262

2008
Physical track connections between rapid transit lines?
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=50537&p=524371&hilit=connections#p524371

Hope that helps
R-
User avatar
Adams_Umass_Boston
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Eastie

Re: Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby Arborwayfan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:09 pm

Does anyone have a picture of a trolley being towed by a C-D car, in the subway or elsewhere? I've just enjoyed an hour of looking for one online, with no luck (or at least no luck finding that particular picture; I saw a lot of other interesting ones.)
Arborwayfan
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:27 am
Location: Terre Haute, Indiana

Re: Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby CRail » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:36 pm

The Blue Line connection was by way of the Grand Junction, which now goes no further than Everett. The ROW that connected to the East Boston Tunnel (Blue Line) is now the East Boston Greenway.

Arborway: I do know of such photos which exist, none online though.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
User avatar
CRail
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 8:27 am
Location: Eastie

Re: Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:19 pm

[quote="CRail"]The Blue Line connection was by way of the Grand Junction, which now goes no further than Everett. The ROW that connected to the East Boston Tunnel (Blue Line) is now the East Boston Greenway.

Arborway: I do know of such photos which exist, none online though.[/quote]

The Grand Junction is nowhere near Everett. The Grand Junction split from the main line a few hundred feet passed the present day Chelsea station. There's also another split from the Main line further up the line in Revere right near route 16.

What you're thinking about is the, I assume, is the Saugus Branch.
theseaandalifesaver
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: PLZ NO TRUMP, USA

Re: Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby sery2831 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:42 pm

No the Grand Junction Branch is correct. The Grand Jct Branch took a right at Chelsea Station and passed through Chelsea and crossed the Chelsea Creek on a draw next to the draw bridge that was just replaced. The split further up is now referred to as the East Boston Branch(I believe this was a B&M branch and did not connect to the Grand Jct, but was later connected... Maybe?). The Saugus Branch is no where any of this.

And Adams_Umass_Boston THANKS so much for spending the time to get those threads dug up. I will work on merging them or something at some point when I have more time.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
User avatar
sery2831
 
Posts: 5127
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Manchester, NH

Re: Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby 130MM » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:56 am

sery2831 wrote:No the Grand Junction Branch is correct. The Grand Jct Branch took a right at Chelsea Station and passed through Chelsea and crossed the Chelsea Creek on a draw next to the draw bridge that was just replaced. The split further up is now referred to as the East Boston Branch(I believe this was a B&M branch and did not connect to the Grand Jct, but was later connected... Maybe?). The Saugus Branch is no where any of this.

And Adams_Umass_Boston THANKS so much for spending the time to get those threads dug up. I will work on merging them or something at some point when I have more time.


The val plans show a connection between the two as early as 1915. After the counterweight fell off the Chelsea Creek drawbridge, the B&M granted the B&A/PC/Conrail trackage rights to the B&M's E. Boston Br. at Revere, and then down the branch to the original Grand Jct. It's all dead now, and the area of the connection has been obliterated.

DAW
130MM
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Wakefield, MA

Re: Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:06 am

[quote="sery2831"]No the Grand Junction Branch is correct. The Grand Jct Branch took a right at Chelsea Station and passed through Chelsea and crossed the Chelsea Creek on a draw next to the draw bridge that was just replaced. The split further up is now referred to as the East Boston Branch(I believe this was a B&M branch and did not connect to the Grand Jct, but was later connected... Maybe?). The Saugus Branch is no where any of this.

And Adams_Umass_Boston THANKS so much for spending the time to get those threads dug up. I will work on merging them or something at some point when I have more time.[/quote]

That's exactly what I just said.
theseaandalifesaver
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: PLZ NO TRUMP, USA

Re: Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby sery2831 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:23 am

The Grand Junction runs from Beacon Park Yard currently TO Everett, CRail is saying the line from Everett to Chelsea is abandoned. Not sure where the Saugus Branch comes into play.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
User avatar
sery2831
 
Posts: 5127
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Manchester, NH

Re: Physical connections between different transit lines

Postby Type7trolley » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Arborwayfan wrote:Does anyone have a picture of a trolley being towed by a C-D car, in the subway or elsewhere? I've just enjoyed an hour of looking for one online, with no luck (or at least no luck finding that particular picture; I saw a lot of other interesting ones.)

I forget where I found this, but anyway..
Attachments
1800230_10201611145509355_679605200_n.jpg
User avatar
Type7trolley
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 6:31 pm

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arlington and 5 guests