MBTA may sell station names

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: MBTA may sell station names

Postby The EGE » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:43 pm

Ad revenue is incredibly worthless for the T. In FY2008 they earned $11 million off advertising, out of a budget of 1.4 billion. That's less than one percent - losing it would require raising a subway fare by less than two cents, or a Zone 8 monthly by $2.44.

The MBTA selling advertising, whether it be on buses and trains or the station names themselves, is fundamentally a gimmick. It does not, and cannot, fundamentally alter the balance of their financial reality. But it tells the politicians "look, we're doing everything that we can."
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:26 pm

The EGE wrote:Ad revenue is incredibly worthless for the T"

This is something I figured. Airport station was built with huge advertisement signs all over the place. Half the time they sit empty. Its no surprise no one wanted to buy a station and have it renamed.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby deathtopumpkins » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:39 pm

I think a lot of the reason advertising revenue makes up such a small portion of the T's income has more to do with the T's limited amount of advertising space than with a lack of demand for advertising on the T.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby jboutiet » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:54 pm

deathtopumpkins wrote:I think a lot of the reason advertising revenue makes up such a small portion of the T's income has more to do with the T's limited amount of advertising space than with a lack of demand for advertising on the T.
I would believe that, if the advertising space they had was full. If they can't fill what they have, then the amount of available space isn't the limiting factor.
jboutiet

Postby deathtopumpkins » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:48 pm

jboutiet wrote:
deathtopumpkins wrote:I think a lot of the reason advertising revenue makes up such a small portion of the T's income has more to do with the T's limited amount of advertising space than with a lack of demand for advertising on the T.
I would believe that, if the advertising space they had was full. If they can't fill what they have, then the amount of available space isn't the limiting factor.

Is the advertising space not usually full? I have never paid specific attention to advertising, as I tend to tune it out, but it seems like at least on the red and green lines there aren't a bunch of empty ad spaces.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby 4400Washboard » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:19 am

Selling station names is a really good way to tear up railroad history by changing an old station name to some corporate marketing scheme. Then again, the MBTA needs money...
MTA project completion date calculator Take the MTA 's estimate for completion and add 8 years to that.
4400Washboard

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)