DUI a deal breaker for aspiring conductor?

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

DUI a deal breaker for aspiring conductor?

Postby ewain » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:18 pm

I have a four year old DUI from Aug 2010. No troubles since then. Does anyone in the industry know if i still have a chance of making conductor? I am applying to conductor school at MODOC anyway. Thanks!
ewain

Re: DUI a deal breaker for aspiring conductor?

Postby trvr815 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:33 pm

Deal breaker no. Difficult, yes. You have hundreds of apps for every few jobs on the class 1's.
I would think your best bet is to try and start with a local short line. Gain some experience and better position yourself for future employment with one of the big 7.
Good luck.
trvr815

Postby supernova1972 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:31 am

Lots of guys I work with have had DUIs. Just be honest.
supernova1972

Postby Gadfly » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:58 am

ewain wrote:I have a four year old DUI from Aug 2010. No troubles since then. Does anyone in the industry know if i still have a chance of making conductor? I am applying to conductor school at MODOC anyway. Thanks!

Perhaps this won't hurt if it is only the ONE time. However, I would still advise you AGAINST wasting your money on some "conductor school". Perhaps, you think this will give you some sort of advantage over those out there now pounding the ground as a trainman/brakeman. It won't. AFIK (unless things have changed drastically), most railroads prefer to train you from scratch according to their own operating needs, environment and even past practice (a term you will hear from time on the railroad). They don't want someone coming onto the property with fixed notions how things are to be done,. i.e, having to "undo" your "training" to conform to their style of operating. It can, in some cases, HINDER your chances of getting hired. Maybe it sounds odd, but going to "choo choo U" is not like going to a normal college where that degree opens doors and gives advantage. You might even be shocked to find that, at your hiring session, they hired a "greenie" right off the street while bypassing YOU and your "degree". :( The other reason for not doing the "choo choo U' thing is, when you go to work, you will go to work right at the BOTTOM of the seniority list no matter HOW many "degrees" you have! In the agreement ranks, seniority rules, and you are not going to "go the head of the line" because of your perceived superiority, or knowledge, or because you "sucked up" to the boss! :-D LOL! You will get promoted to conductor when YOUR time comes and when the company thinks you are ready. Not before. You see, the railroad environment is like nothing you have ever encountered before. It has its own special operating needs and its own way of handling personnel. The Union shop prevents a lot of favoritism and patronism, and works to the best advantage of all employees. It ain't perfect; it is what it is. Now you might go to "choo choo U" and have it work out for the best for you....I hope it does. And, you may also take this advice considering that when I hired out to Southern in the 70's, we had never heard of schools for trainmen, conductors, etc. We hired out, went to work and learned the craft as we went. Southern/NS had its own school (McDonough, Ga), and OJT--which meant you "cubbed" the jobs and learned them as you worked 'em alongside the incumbents. As you progressed (qualified) on the positions, you could bid your seniority, or, in some cases, apply to the position (known as "X" jobs which were semi-accepted jobs like "Chief Clerk/Freight"). And it took a LOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTT of seniority to get those if you EVER did!
I can't blame people for trying to get ahead. However, IMHO, spending umpteen thousands of dollars in order to end up at the same place as the rest of the trainmen (at the bottom of the pile) is......well, a waste of good money.

Me, I'd concentrate on 1) getting hired, 2) learning the trade from the ground UP, 3) keeping your nose clean, and THEN 4) getting promoted to conductor or engineer. From an NS retiree's POV, it is the best way!

Gud Luck!

GF
Gadfly

Postby Freddy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:26 pm

Define MODOC, somebody.
Freddy

Postby Gadfly » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:03 pm

Freddy wrote:Define MODOC, somebody.

I thot it was a small town in Indiana!~ :P :wink:

GF
Gadfly

Postby Freddy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:50 pm

Gadfly wrote:

GF

When I Googled it I got Missouri Dept. of Corrections. They must have a really small railroad that only runs in a circle. :wink:
Freddy

Postby Freddy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:53 pm

Freddy wrote:
Gadfly wrote:

GF

When I Googled it I got Missouri Dept. of Corrections. They must have a really small railroad that only runs in a circle. :wink:

And it's all inside a really high fence.
Freddy

Postby DutchRailnut » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:59 pm

If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby Freddy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:29 pm

That's it, thanks Dutch.
Freddy

Postby COEN77 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:39 am

Save your money it's a waste of time to go to this school. Back when they opened in 1995 according to the MODAC website railroads hired sporadically a few at a time to fill vacancies. Since 2006 it changed retirements were gearing up the railroads needed to hire to replace an entire generation of railroaders. Today most railroads class 1's have their own training facilities & programs.
COEN77

Return to Employment