MBTA Commuter Rail Platform Sizes

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: MBTA Commuter rail platform sizes

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:53 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:How did you measure Lynn's platform? It's a bit odd -- while an island, it is still "staggered". I'm not sure if both halves are the same length. There's also a closed portion on the southern end, IIRC.

Don't know if it's been ported to the new Google Maps yet, but if you switch to old Google Maps there's a Map Labs distance measuring tool. Enable that and you can measure just about anything.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:09 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:How did you measure Lynn's platform? It's a bit odd -- while an island, it is still "staggered". I'm not sure if both halves are the same length. There's also a closed portion on the southern end, IIRC.

Don't know if it's been ported to the new Google Maps yet, but if you switch to old Google Maps there's a Map Labs distance measuring tool. Enable that and you can measure just about anything.

No, no, I understand that. I just mean literally, which measurement did EGE go with? Each side of the island is, oddly enough, a different length. The outbound platform is longer than the inbound one.
BostonUrbEx

Postby The EGE » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:23 pm

The inbound side is exactly 800 feet; the outbound side is the 890. It appears that the outbound side was built longer in order to span from the elevator shaft next to the garage, over to the Exchange Street stairwell. Anyone's guess why they didn't shift the inbound side that way too.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)