Boston Trolley Meet Update

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Boston Trolley Meet Update

Postby savebowdoin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:43 am

Hi all,

I wanted to be sure this info got out to anyone interested. The four groups who have run the Boston Trolley & Transit Meet the past two times (BSRA, Seashore, BSSME and NRHS, who ran it previously) have come to the conclusion that a 2014 Meet would not be financially viable. Their full statement is on the Trolley Meet website at http://www.bostontrolleymeet.com.

We had hoped that we could make it work, but after much analysis by all, it has become clear that the Meet, at least in its traditional format, is not something that can be sustained in the current climate. The door remains open to future Meets, and it has been suggested that a smaller-scale type of event or meet-up is held at some point this year, but there is nothing formal as of yet.

Best,

Mike
savebowdoin

Re: Boston Trolley Meet Update

Postby MBTA3247 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:54 pm

The Boston Chapter NRHS is considering reviving its Collectors' Night event, a smaller event held at its usual meeting place that alternated years with the Trolley Meet.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby savebowdoin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:02 am

MBTA3247 wrote:The Boston Chapter NRHS is considering reviving its Collectors' Night event, a smaller event held at its usual meeting place that alternated years with the Trolley Meet.

That is great news, please keep us in the loop. I'd be happy to promote Collectors Night through the Trolley Meet channels.

Mike
savebowdoin

Postby wicked » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:52 am

That stinks, I'd hoped to go to a meet one of these years. Was an associate member of the BSRA when I was a kid and I loved the entertainment portions of the program, but my schedule nowadays doesn't allow for it.
wicked

Postby Gerry6309 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:06 pm

I am saddened by this decision, but times are changing, and the number of people interested in this area is declining, partly because the Transit Systems have so little interest in their own history. If fans and providers work together maybe interest will increase.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby MBTA3247 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:53 pm

Collector's Night will take place on Friday, May 9 at the Union Church in Waban (the usual meeting place of both the Boston Chapter NRHS and the MBRRE) from 6:30 to 9:30 or so.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby diburning » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:59 pm

What is Collector's Night?
diburning

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:55 am

Collector's Night is a much smaller show that historically alternated years with the Trolley Meet, taking place at the Boston Chapter's usual meeting place. It's not limited to traction stuff, either.
MBTA3247

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Here's the flyer for Collector's Night:

NRHS May 9 Collectors' Night.jpg
MBTA3247

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)