The Rollsign/Destination Sign Thread

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: The Rollsign/Destination Sign Thread

Postby CRail » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:36 pm

I second Railbus. The flip dots were good when they worked. The problem was that they often didn't. The LCD signs are lousy when they're working properly, and they fail almost as often. Flip dots would be a vast improvement over those. They'd be more reliable on the rail equipment to because they wouldn't change constantly like on buses and they wouldn't be rattled nearly as much. With the way those old rattle boxes slammed into every pothole in the god awful streets of the 80s and 90s, it's amazing all the little dots ever worked at all!
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby RailBus63 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:30 pm

The new LED signs are the next best thing to an actual rollsign, with various fonts, sizes and colors available. I could see the Type 7's and 8's with these signs featuring a large route letter code that would be instantly readable as soon as the train entered the station.
RailBus63

Postby Rbts Stn » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:01 am

Was on an old Green line car on Wednesday (didn't catch the number, but it still had the pull cord to signal for your stop), and noticed the map over the middle doors still said Hynes/ICA. Hadn't seen that in a long time. Did have the 4 deleted B Line stops covered with white tape, so it wasn't *that* old at least. Nor did it say Auditorium!
Rbts Stn

Postby Gerry6309 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:37 pm

RailBus63 wrote:
Gerry6309 wrote:No matter how you look at it, flip-dot signs were the absolute worst. Fortunately they were only used on buses in Boston, so I won't discuss them further.

I have to disagree, Gerry - those LCD signs used on the current Green Line fleet are worse than the flip-dots. It is impossible to read these signs from any distance at all. I would prefer to see the T upgrade to the LED signs similar to those that SEPTA has installed on its surface fleet in recent years.

Jim

Many a time I was a few feet in front of a bus and had no idea where it was going until I saw the side sign. The LCDs are hard to read at a distance, but they don't fog up or get buried in snow very often. Additionally the painted side of the flip-dot faded, making it more obscure.

That being said, I agree that LED signs are better than either, and that a blank sign of any kind is unacceptable.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby djimpact1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:58 am

Regarding the LCD destination signs on the Green Line, aside from the infrequent destination displays already pointed out earlier in this thread (Kenmore, Babcock St.), what other non-typical displays have you seen on the LCD readouts?

I ask because I've painted two of my Boeing LRV models in the Type 7 silver/teal paint scheme & want to know the range of possible electronic destination signs I can give them, beyond the typical everyday displays. Thanks in advance.
A non-foaming rail enthusiast.

Member of a yet-to-be-determined transit social group
Do what you do, do it often, do it well....
djimpact1

Postby sery2831 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:23 am

Any station can be made a destination on any of the trains that have LCD destination signs.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby djimpact1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:33 am

sery2831 wrote:Any station can be made a destination on any of the trains that have LCD destination signs.

Yes, that's what I understand of its capabilities, though for my purpose, I want to know what the observed range of actual destination read-outs have been so I can mimic this on my faux sign (mainly due to the character limitations...)

i.e. I would not create a destination of "GOVERNMENT CENTER" when the LCD readouts display "GOV'T CENTER". How would "Instruction Car" be displayed, and does is have an "X" in the "branch letter" display readout"? Etc.
A non-foaming rail enthusiast.

Member of a yet-to-be-determined transit social group
Do what you do, do it often, do it well....
djimpact1

Postby diburning » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:32 am

Here's one (tongue in cheek) :P

diburning

Postby Literalman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:07 pm

"No service" is very realistic. :-)

I once boarded a Boeing car that was displaying six different destinations on its rollsigns. It was going the right direction for me, but I had to ask the operator where that car was going.
Steve Dunham
Alexandria, Virginia
www.stevedunham.50megs.com
Literalman

Postby Gerry6309 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:35 pm

Literalman wrote:"No service" is very realistic. :-)

I once boarded a Boeing car that was displaying six different destinations on its rollsigns. It was going the right direction for me, but I had to ask the operator where that car was going.

I guess I am old fashioned - but I still like "NO STOPS"!

Six readable destination signs, one of which may be right, still beats six unreadable destination signs, all of which show the same wrong information.

Wrong information classic: A Type 8, with the interior display reading "EXPRESS TO GREYCLIFF RD." leaving Boston College. Not are there no stops between Boston College and Greycliff Rd., but that stop was discontinued before the Type 8s were delivered.

Gerry
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby MBTA3247 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:00 pm

"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby StevieC48 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:11 am

When the Boeing LRV's were delivered they had green and red slash on both front and side signs. When I was younger I would ride the to my grandmothers in East Cambridge. So I would see D Lechmere and returning D Riverside via Highland Branch. But Beacon St cars going to North Station I would see C North Sta with a red slash over the letter C. Boston College turning at government ctr would have either Government Ctr no letter or B red slash over the B and Government Ctr. So the slash over the letter with either Red or Green, But all seem to have been removed by the T years later.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)