Keolis Commuter Service New Operator of the CR Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Keolis Commuter Service New Operator of the CR Discussion

Postby sery2831 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:41 pm

Since it's official I am starting a new thread. Previous conversation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=131775
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Re: Keolis Commuter Service Wins CR for 8 Years

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:05 pm

Félicitations :-D
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby Cosmo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:40 pm

2014 will indeed be an interesting year for the MBTA and CR
"It belongs in a MUSEUM!"
-Indiana Jones
Cosmo

Postby MBTA1016 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Don't forget the new equipment that's coming in too Cosmo. Both already have their own discussions. I know this is far fetched but say once this contract is up in 8yrs and the T didnt like how things ran could mbcr run it again? Sorry if this is a ridiculous or stupid question this early with Keolis just getting the contract.
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan
WE ARE BOSTON, WE ARE BOSTON STRONG

Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116905626@N06/
Blog: http://jpwilkinson2448.blogspot.com/?m=1
MBTA1016

Postby Cosmo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:00 pm

Mbta fan wrote:Don't forget the new equipment that's coming in too Cosmo.

I know, and I can't wait to see the new MPI units go through Norwood and Canton. :wink:
"It belongs in a MUSEUM!"
-Indiana Jones
Cosmo

Postby TrainManTy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:17 pm

Mbta fan wrote:I know this is far fetched but say once this contract is up in 8yrs and the T didnt like how things ran could mbcr run it again?

MBCR's parent companies will probably still exist eight years from now, but I doubt MBCR will (and if it's kept alive on paper, but dormant, its staff will have moved on to other jobs). Not much left for them to do without the commuter rail to run!
Tyler

All posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak for any organizations on this board.
TrainManTy

Postby ck4049 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:31 pm

It is gonna take quite awhile for MBCR to "move out" since they have been there for almost 11 years now.
ck4049

Postby NH2060 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:07 pm

Au right, let's git this party stahted :-D
NH2060

Postby trainhq » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:24 pm

I dunno, hard to say how this will play out. Keolis seems to have done O.K. with VRE, not
all that well overseas. I think the feeling was that MBCR simply had an entrenched incumbent
attitude; as in, we're too established to be kicked out. Also, while the MBCR on-time performance
has been better lately, the T had not forgotten their earlier behavior, when they felt it was
cheaper to pay the fines than fix the trains. I think they simply concluded that Keolis wouldn't,
at any rate, do a worse job, so it was time for a change. Let's hope for the best (or better, anyway).
trainhq

Postby MBTA3247 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:27 pm

ck4049 wrote:It is gonna take quite awhile for MBCR to "move out" since they have been there for almost 11 years now.

Keep in mind that most of MBCR's employees will be transferring over to Keolis, just as they transferred to MBCR from Amtrak (and from B&M to Amtrak before that). It'll mostly be upper and middle management that gets replaced. Hopefully the new management will be able to motivate the rank and file to provide better service.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby Diverging Route » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:51 am

First to post a pic of the new conductor hat badge gets a CP named after him/her. :wink:
Diverging Route

Postby wicked » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:35 am

The question is whether the litigation surely on the way will be complete by the expiration of the original deal with Keolis on 6/30/22. MBCR isn't going away, no matter how air tight the RFP process was.
wicked

Postby RailBus63 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:30 am

It's difficult to determine if this is a good deal or not. MBCR underbid Amtrak for the contract originally and it certainly seemed to me that the MBTA 'got what it paid for'. Now, Keolis is underbidding MBCR. They will certainly have their hands full at the start trying to keep the old locomotive fleet going while integrating the new MPI units and getting the bugs worked out of the Rotem fleet.
RailBus63

Postby ACeInTheHole » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:37 am

RailBus63 wrote:It's difficult to determine if this is a good deal or not. MBCR underbid Amtrak for the contract originally and it certainly seemed to me that the MBTA 'got what it paid for'. Now, Keolis is underbidding MBCR. They will certainly have their hands full at the start trying to keep the old locomotive fleet going while integrating the new MPI units and getting the bugs worked out of the Rotem fleet.

Oh dear god. Since you out it like that.. This should be entertaining now. Good luck to those of you who work the MBTA here, this might get messy.
ACeInTheHole

Postby tvachon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:42 pm

beanbag wrote:
RailBus63 wrote:It's difficult to determine if this is a good deal or not. MBCR underbid Amtrak for the contract originally and it certainly seemed to me that the MBTA 'got what it paid for'. Now, Keolis is underbidding MBCR. They will certainly have their hands full at the start trying to keep the old locomotive fleet going while integrating the new MPI units and getting the bugs worked out of the Rotem fleet.

Oh dear god. Since you out it like that.. This should be entertaining now. Good luck to those of you who work the MBTA here, this might get messy.

However, the underbid (from the Globe reports) was partially due to MBCR having a much higher profit margin almost making up the 6% difference. (Source: http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... story.html)
tvachon

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)