The Rollsign/Destination Sign Thread

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: The Rollsign/Destination Sign Thread

Postby MBTA3247 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:49 pm

highgreen215 wrote:Most of you are too young to have seen the roll signs on Type 4 streetcars. They were never, EVER properly square in the sign box. Over the years they became twisted and probably tangled in the gears. But, they were much easier to read than the crummy LEDs of today.

You mean LCDs. The LED displays that the buses use work quite well.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby highgreen215 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:00 am

I stand corrected - and love those bus destinations signs.
highgreen215

Postby shawnp » Sun May 26, 2013 9:54 pm

Although common enough, here are:
http://blogs.bu.edu/shawnp/files/2013/05/Kenmore1080.png
Kenmore (at Fenway)
http://blogs.bu.edu/shawnp/files/2013/05/IMG_04601.jpg
Park Street (at Hynes)

I tried taking a B Kenmore shot at Park Street but it came out blurry. The B in B Kenmore seems unnecessary. Why 'B Kenmore' opposed to 'C Kenmore' or 'D Kenmore?

Operationally, it makes sense, but to rider?
shawnp

Postby djimpact1 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:49 am

This picture is provided via MassDOT's Twitter feed. It shows Blue Line 0616 in the new Broadway Training Center. Note the rollsign cases (exterior AND interior) display "TRAINING CENTER".

Is it right to assume this is the first rollsign produced since the late 90's for T equipment? Who would be the entity who made this...is the sign shop still active?

It blows my mind how crisp/readable this signage is, compared to today's LED blur.
Attachments
0616sign.jpg
Blue Line 0616 in MBTA Training Center
0616sign.jpg (96.37 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
A non-foaming rail enthusiast.

Member of a yet-to-be-determined transit social group
Do what you do, do it often, do it well....
djimpact1

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Wow it looks great. They even painted the old car.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby Type7trolley » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Earlier this week I was lucky enough to come across a PCC side-rollsign on cragislist (albeit listed as a "bus sign"). It was badly in need of some new paint and I was planning on going with the traditional cream, however upon stripping several layers of paint from numerous car rebuilds through the years I found remains of a very '60s looking bright teal/blue which I decided to go with instead. Anyway, to whomever it may interest, here are some pictures of the project...

...and here's the final result!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq_FKpMzhBk

This also led me to a few questions,
1. Why would Haymarket have been added later? I've seen this on other PCC rollsigns as well. When was it used as a destination?
2. What's the rationale with listing Government center, but not Lechmere, North Station, or Park st? Some lines have these included (Boston College & Cleveland Circle), but what was a motorman on an inbound run from Watertown or Riverside to do?
3. Speaking of riverside, what's the difference between "Riverside via Subway" and "Riverside via Newton-Brookline"? Personal preference? To terminate at Kenmore?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Last edited by Type7trolley on Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Type7trolley

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Nice Job.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:51 pm

djimpact1 wrote:This picture is provided via MassDOT's Twitter feed. It shows Blue Line 0616 in the new Broadway Training Center. Note the rollsign cases (exterior AND interior) display "TRAINING CENTER".

Is it right to assume this is the first rollsign produced since the late 90's for T equipment? Who would be the entity who made this...is the sign shop still active?

It blows my mind how crisp/readable this signage is, compared to today's LED blur.

Whats even more amazing is they removed the roll sign from the case and added that in. You can still bring up the normal 0600 roll sign destinations on all of those signs!
GP40MC 1116

Postby CRail » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:40 am

Yeah, all 4 of them.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby Gerry6309 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:38 pm

Two comments:

HAYMARKET was a temporary destination used during one of the many rebuildings of the Canal St. terminal. May have been when the Charlestown El was coming down or the Naymarket-North construction. Cars still looped at Canal but no passengers were carried past Haymarket.

Hunter had their own fonts used in signs, and any older signs (including the originals in the LRVs) used Hunter Fonts. Seashore has a complete set in certain sizes. Each Letter is cut into a wood block. The MBTA switched to Helvetica gradually over the years.

No matter how you look at it, flip-dot signs were the absolute worst. Fortunately they were only used on buses in Boston, so I won't discuss them further.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby wicked » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:24 am

Also consider, Haymarket station was named Union-Friend until 1967.
wicked

Postby Aerie » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:40 am

wicked wrote:Also consider, Haymarket station was named Union-Friend until 1967.

I think it was the Orange Line station that was Friend/Union. The Green Line Haymarket station used to be closer to the tunnel portal and was not connected to the Orange Line station at that point.
Aerie

Postby Gerry6309 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:35 pm

Haymarket and Union/Friend were connected after 1908. In the old station the connection was at the south(west) end of the station behind the entrance. The same passageway is now at the north end of the present platform. In the old days it was only accessible from the outer parts of the fenced platforms, since the inner sections were unpaid areas. Note that the present platforms are the former inner tracks of the tunnel, which is under "Washington St." North of Adams Sq. the Orange Line runs east of "Washington St." but west of Union St. The station entrance is within a narrow building between the two streets just north of the intersection with Friend & Hanover. The westbound Green Line tunnel is under Hanover from Washington to Court/Tremont Row. Center Plaza is on Court. City Hall Plaza is a Tremont Row Address. Both sides are then Court to near Bowdoin Station where Cambridge Starts. If you get all of that you are qualified as Commissioner of Public Works

I am all for Mayor Elect Walsh's plan to tear down City Hall. It is just plain ugly, and contains more wasted space than useable space. Boston deserves better!
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby BigUglyCat » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:59 pm

Gerry6309 wrote:I am all for Mayor Elect Walsh's plan to tear down City Hall. It is just plain ugly, and contains more wasted space than useable space. Boston deserves better!

"Architectural critic Edward Durrell Stone once complained that it looked like the crate in which Faneuil Hall came." Ref: David Kruh's Images of America: Scollay Square. Might we then make some use of the extant section of the old Adams Square tunnel area? :-D
BigUglyCat

Postby RailBus63 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:34 am

Gerry6309 wrote:No matter how you look at it, flip-dot signs were the absolute worst. Fortunately they were only used on buses in Boston, so I won't discuss them further.

I have to disagree, Gerry - those LCD signs used on the current Green Line fleet are worse than the flip-dots. It is impossible to read these signs from any distance at all. I would prefer to see the T upgrade to the LED signs similar to those that SEPTA has installed on its surface fleet in recent years.

Jim
RailBus63

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)