Commuter Rail Pictorial

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Commuter Rail Pictorial

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:33 pm

wicked wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:I also have a hatred for their 'click fraud' articles such as this. They put all the pictures on separate pages to increase their ad views.

Boston.com is far from the only one doing this.

Oh, I realize. But it feels like a vast majority of their pieces are like this now. And as we see here, they'll just throw anything together, no matter how sloppy.
BostonUrbEx

Postby ns3010 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:13 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The last image in the set (#9) shows the interior of a then new Pullman CTC/BTC coach in 1980, and they exactly resemble the original EL/NJDOT Comet I interiors with 2-2 seating and reversible seats, right down to the windows and lighting.

Did the CTC/BTC-1's not have the double end doors until the mid-90's rebuild to 1C's?
ns3010

Postby wicked » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:17 pm

The EGE wrote:That "Malden" picture looks like the Melrose stops. Malden had high platforms after 1975.

I guessed Winchester.
wicked

Postby sery2831 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:55 pm

ns3010 wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:The last image in the set (#9) shows the interior of a then new Pullman CTC/BTC coach in 1980, and they exactly resemble the original EL/NJDOT Comet I interiors with 2-2 seating and reversible seats, right down to the windows and lighting.

Did the CTC/BTC-1's not have the double end doors until the mid-90's rebuild to 1C's?

Correct. The rebuild they got made them into very different cars.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby bmcdr » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:27 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:
Gerry6309 wrote:Malden didn't look like that in 1991 - 1971 ... maybe.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm still not even convinced it is Malden at all.

Also in that picture, 'off' is spelled 'of'! This was a very sloppy piece, as typical of BostonDotCom lately. I also have a hatred for their 'click fraud' articles such as this. They put all the pictures on separate pages to increase their ad views.

It was nice seeing some pictures of the past, though. I just wish some effort was put in.

You're right! Picture #7 is certainly not Malden, what with the covered staircase in the right side of the photo and the factory and retail buildings in the background, it looks more like Haverhill. Right up until the early 1990's, Haverhill had a covered staircase going down to the street level and a portion of the overhead awning lasted up until at least 1990. The one thing that makes me think that this photo was taken in the 1970's, is that the awning on the opposite side of the tracks was taken down in the early 1980's.
David Hutchinson
bmcdr

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)