Mattapan timetables then and not quite now

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Mattapan timetables then and not quite now

Postby Otto Vondrak » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Here are two timetables in my collection. One is New Haven Form 207 for Boston, South Braintree, and Mattapan Services. It is dated 1928. I was under the impression that Mattapan service ended in 1927. The timetable on the right is a 1963 MTA issue for the Mattapan Hi-Speed Line (Route 28?).

Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottomatic7 ... hotostream

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Re: Mattapan timetables then and not quite now

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:51 pm

The High Speed Line was indeed Route 28. As I understand it, the New Haven continued to operate trains to Mattapan via Neponset until just a few days (if not the day) before trolley service was inaugurated along the entire line in December 1929. This was accomplished via a connection between the old New Haven track and the outbound trolley track just west of Central Ave. The connection remained in place through the 1970s, and some of the track is still there.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby boblothrope » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Otto Vondrak wrote:Here are two timetables in my collection. One is New Haven Form 207 for Boston, South Braintree, and Mattapan Services. It is dated 1928. I was under the impression that Mattapan service ended in 1927. The timetable on the right is a 1963 MTA issue for the Mattapan Hi-Speed Line (Route 28?).

Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottomatic7 ... hotostream

Has the T published an upcoming schedule for the Mattapan line that reflects the weekend cuts?

I'm surprised they run it so much more often today on Sunday mornings (about every 12 minutes) than they did in 1963 (24 minutes).
boblothrope

Postby jonnhrr » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:50 pm

boblothrope wrote:I'm surprised they run it so much more often today on Sunday mornings (about every 12 minutes) than they did in 1963 (24 minutes).

Remember back then you still had the Blue Laws, everything was closed on Sunday morning, people were in church, hardly anyone worked on Sunday except Police/Fire/Nurses etc.
So there wasn't as much of a demand for Sunday morning service.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:58 pm

Compared to the new (7/1/12) schedule, the Sunday Mattapan schedule is starting to look similar to 1964 again, now that service has been reduced to a 26-minute schedule in the AM and also in the late evening (24 minutes then). Saturday now has the same reduced service, with weekdays similar to what they were then (12 minute evening schedule). As they might say, everything old is new again.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby Gerry6309 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:12 am

Service on the line peaked around the late fifties with a rush hour headway of 2 minutes supported by 16 cars. That required a fleet of 15 PCCs and a number of Type 5s. Today we have a 6 minute headway supported by five cars out of a fleet of ten.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby dieciduej » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:50 pm

Today I stopped by the George M. Sanborn Transportation Library to pickup the latest bus schedules, usually I pick them up at the respective stations. While I was there I found the the Mattapan High Speed Line now has it's own schedule in print, it may have before and I never knew, there is no sign of it on-line. I've attached a picture of the cover.

Mattapan_Trolley.jpg
Mattapan Trolley Schedule
Mattapan_Trolley.jpg (140.99 KiB) Viewed 2029 times

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby Elcamo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:44 pm

I feel like the bridge is a little out of place there
Elcamo

Postby Diverging Route » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:49 pm

Is the cover really green? That would be strange as the MBTA promotes it to the external world as part of the Red Line. Internally of course it's part of the Light Rail (Green Line) Division.
Diverging Route

Postby SM89 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:40 pm

Diverging Route wrote:Is the cover really green? That would be strange as the MBTA promotes it to the external world as part of the Red Line. Internally of course it's part of the Light Rail (Green Line) Division.

All of the winter schedules are green
SM89

Postby bozepravde15 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:04 am

Not *exactly* sure when the Mattapan line started getting its own schedule. I feel like it was late 2010? They've had them at Mattapan station for a while now.
bozepravde15

Postby dieciduej » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:35 am

bozepravde15 wrote:Not *exactly* sure when the Mattapan line started getting its own schedule. I feel like it was late 2010? They've had them at Mattapan station for a while now.

OK, Mattapan isn't my usual area of my travel.

Elcamo wrote:I feel like the bridge is a little out of place there

I also forgot to say that the PCC car is in it's pre-AC days.

JoeD
dieciduej

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)