MBTA/MBCR Leasing Two GMTX GP38s??

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA/MBCR Leasing Two GMTX GP38s??

Postby mdamico23 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi Everyone,

I read on the "Guilford Rail Sightings" yahoo groups blog that the MBTA/MBCR might be leasing two GMTX GP38-2s. Apparently they are to be delivered to BET today. What would be the motivation of leasing two GP38s? Maybe work train power? Are the 3247 and the two Gensets sidelined? The 38's do not have HEP, but maybe they can be used as "rescue" units when there is a road failure, although I would think their gearing is lower than the F40s and GP40MC's. I will keep my eye out tonight when I pass BET on my usual outbound train, but it will be dark by that time, so not optimistic I will see anything...

-Mike
mdamico23

Re: MBTA/MBCR Leasing Two GMTX GP38s??

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:38 pm

Without HEP they're pretty much useless as rescue units unless there literally is no other way to get a regular loco out there to do that job. Most likely work units, if this rumor is real.

How much longer are they willing to put up with those shop queen gensets? I know they're new engines, but if they just don't fit the mold for the kind of grab-and-go work engines and switchers they need maybe it's time to think about dishing them off to somebody else and getting more conventional work power.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:08 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:How much longer are they willing to put up with those shop queen gensets? I know they're new engines, but if they just don't fit the mold for the kind of grab-and-go work engines and switchers they need maybe it's time to think about dishing them off to somebody else and getting more conventional work power.

What's concerning is that only the T seems to have any trouble with gensets. I haven't seen any reports of gensets on other railroads seeing major amounts of downtime. They're supposed to have less downtime than conventional power since a failed engine can be swapped out in a few hours.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby Cosmo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:18 pm

MBTA3247 wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:How much longer are they willing to put up with those shop queen gensets? I know they're new engines, but if they just don't fit the mold for the kind of grab-and-go work engines and switchers they need maybe it's time to think about dishing them off to somebody else and getting more conventional work power.

What's concerning is that only the T seems to have any trouble with gensets. I haven't seen any reports of gensets on other railroads seeing major amounts of downtime. They're supposed to have less downtime than conventional power since a failed engine can be swapped out in a few hours.

Oh no, Metro North is not so fond of theirs either. The ones they have are too light for pulling anything more than a couple of coaches reliably.
"It belongs in a MUSEUM!"
-Indiana Jones
Cosmo

Postby GP40MC1118 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:33 am

GMTX 2217 & 2232 are inside BET. Guess they are here for the winter. The 3248/3249 are
stored at BET. 3247 & 904 are work train/switcher engines.

D
GP40MC1118

Postby diburning » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:48 am

MBTA3247 wrote:

But the MBTA has no spare engines to swap in.

They GP38s are probably for work service, like bringing salt and sand to the stations.
diburning

Postby jaymac » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:33 am

"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac

Postby ACeInTheHole » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:32 am

jaymac wrote:Answers may be provided by http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=212802 and http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=212801.
Thanks, bmcdr!

Ten bucks the Rotem on the next track finds itself in the shop more often for extracurricular repairs than the leasors.
ACeInTheHole

Postby sery2831 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Did they arrive broken?
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby ACeInTheHole » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:53 pm

sery2831 wrote:Did they arrive broken?

Badly worded. I was just making a crack at the Rotems saying i bet the Geeps will work better.
ACeInTheHole

Postby MBTA1016 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:29 pm

8th Notch wrote:Finally something that actually works to switch with!

That's a scary thought isn't it lol
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan
WE ARE BOSTON, WE ARE BOSTON STRONG

Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116905626@N06/
Blog: http://jpwilkinson2448.blogspot.com/?m=1
MBTA1016

Postby ns3010 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:20 am

Cosmo wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:

Oh no, Metro North is not so fond of theirs either. The ones they have are too light for pulling anything more than a couple of coaches reliably.

That's because the Metro-North units are Brookvilles, which are terrible beasts and completely different than the NRE gensets operated by many other railroads (including the T). As mentioned before, only the T seems to have any significant issues with them, and that is because of the refusal to purchase the spare parts needed to keep them running.

Is there any chance that these may stick around even after the gensets are eventually repaired? It probably wouldn't hurt to have one or two more work units in addition to what they already have, especially considering that the 3247 in particular is on its last legs.
ns3010

Postby MBTA3247 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Cosmo wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:

That sounds like a case of being too small for the desired tasks, rather than mechanical issues keeping them OOS.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby sery2831 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:21 pm

The two lease units are leased by MBCR and not the MBTA. They may not have any relation to the Genset issues.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Elcamo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:41 pm

sery2831 wrote:The two lease units are leased by MBCR and not the MBTA. They may not have any relation to the Genset issues.

What's the difference between the two when it comes to leasing locomotives?
Elcamo

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)