Orient Heights

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Orient Heights

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:43 pm

I wanted to go this morning, But the 120 was delayed and behind scheduled. I am going to check it out later.

I know they took down the old Orient Heights copper sign. Was that reinstalled anywhere? I am hoping that it was.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby jdrinboston » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:38 am

So I went through the station last night on my way home from work.

All in all, it's a tremendous improvement over the old station, but given that the last station's platforms were being held up by wooden 2x4s, that probably doesn't come as a surprise. But all-in-all, once the station is completely finished, I think people will grow to really like it.

Platforms are basically complete. The new lighting is extremely bright and gives the station a modern, clean appearance. Coundtown clock boards have been installed, but they weren't turned on as of last night. It does appear that there is still some overhead electrical work that needs to be completed, mostly in the bus areas on the Saratoga Street side of the station (on both the inbound and outbound side). It also appears that they might be laying wiring to install overhead space heaters in the bus waiting areas? I couldn't confirm that, but there appeared to be some electrical conduit and copper piping that wasn't hooked into any light fixtures.

The intercom system has been installed, but it seems like they need to do a software update on the station because it is still using the "muffled" version of Frank Oglesby's "approaching"/"arriving" announcements.

Elevators all appeared to be functional, but work is still ongoing on the escalators. Not sure how much escalator work is left as the steps are all installed, however some of the side paneling was missing. Doesn't seem like they are that far off from getting those going.

The biggest area stil being worked on - as expected - is the train operations building. But, as I said earlier, this is pretty much enclosed and framed out, so they should be turning the corner there.

As I expected, there were only a smattering of signs installed. The signs that are installed seem to be following the graphical format that will be introduced in the new maps. (Station block lettering and font is the same, but destinations are white lettereing contained in a blue oval among other symbols. I expect signs to be the last thing that goes up, especially if they still have signficant construction going on in the operations building/escalator areas.

The biggest improvement to the station is probably the bus loading areas. Each bus service has there own assigned berth, including the 712/713 Winthrop buses, which use to be squished together at the back of the old station. It actually makes my commute a bit trickier as I can use either bus line and typically will wait for the next bus if there is a crush on the first one. Now I have to either hedge my bets or stand between either berth out in the elements. A bit of an inconvenience for me, but I'm sure the regulars on both lines will appreciate their own areas!

My only criticsm on the station layout is that outbound passangers exiting toward the back of the train - and wanting to either catch the 712 or walk to Saratoga Street need to walk almost the entire length of the platform to exit the station and walk back toward their desired street/bus berth. There only other option would be to use the "emergency exit gates on that far end of the platform. It might benefit the T to install a circular exit only gate to serve those passangers. In fairness to the station designers, the new outbound-side turnstiles are very convenient for commuters coming out of the adjacent parking lot.

All in all, I think they did a nice job with the station and I'm sure the neighborhood will grow to appreciate it once its complete and the inconveniences of the past 8-months are soon forgotten. There are a lot of things to like about the new station, notably the improved lighting, bike racks, bench seating, elevators, and bus areas. I think the imporant thing at this point is for the T to ensure that the remaining work continues at a steady pace and that the station is fully delivered on time in the early spring, as originally advertised. Frankly, from what I saw las night, this really shouldn't be a problem. Ultimately, I think the new station will end up being a net plus for the Orient Heights/Winthrop areas.
jdrinboston

Postby The EGE » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:46 pm

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... r_2013.JPG

My image, Creative Commons Atribution-Sharealike license (not public domain).
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby deathtopumpkins » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:11 pm

I can't decide if I like the look of that new signage or not... I think I may prefer the old solid color scheme.

Station looks quite nice though!
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby SM89 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:24 am

I wish the new sign said "Blue Line - To Bowdoin". Without the "to" I don't think they make as much sense. Same with the new signage at Oak Grove. I wish that said "To Forest Hills".
SM89

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)