Amtrak Regional 177 Earlier

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Amtrak Regional 177 Earlier

Postby R142A » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:46 pm

Earlier today, well, yesterday (April 12th), I was on Amtrak Regional Train 177 from Boston, getting of at NY Penn. Shortly after the Stamford, CT station, the train slowly came to a halt, and the lights suddenly went out in the Amfleet I cars. Now, the lights often do go out do to the different power sources and the HEP Inverter having to be reset, but once the train stopped, it took a few seconds for the lights to go out. After about one minute of waiting, a conductor came over the PA system and announced that the engineer was "recycling the engine." Now, I'm guessing this means resetting the HEP inverter. After about 2-3 minutes, the lights came back on and we began to go again. Is there any explanation to why this would happen? I'm not talking about why the train stopped, it was probably a MNCR train ahead of it, but why the lights went out and why it took so long to get everything going again. Thanks. :)
R142A

Postby queenlnr8 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:16 am

I had a similar experience just north of Wilmington, DE. Train came to a very slow halt and the lights went out.

Though, with mine, the conductor didn't tell us a thing. We just sat on the express track for about 7-10 minutes.
queenlnr8

Postby DutchRailnut » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:13 am

if to many faults show on AEM-7 or HHP-8's the computer needs to be reset, this vcan not be done while in motion. so it takes a few minutes to reboot the computer, just like your puter at home.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby R142A » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:22 am

What kind of faults would these be?
R142A

Postby AEM7AC920 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:20 pm

Could be anything we are talking about electrical systems so you could run into thing like circut breaker faults etc... That's why Amtrak had the cab updates in the AEM-7's with the two computer screens. You can easy spot the fault and make the fix.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Return to Amtrak