Fenway Center / Yawkey Station Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Fenway Center / Yawkey Station Discussion

Postby wicked » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Because the Fenway Center development, which IIRC will be at the station site, kicked in a chunk of change for this.
wicked

Postby bostontrainguy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:24 pm

wicked wrote:Because the Fenway Center development, which IIRC will be at the station site, kicked in a chunk of change for this.

Okay, but building it across the street wouldn't have really mattered that much. And it might have been easier and cheaper for them to build over a clearer site. This would have also prevented huge crowds from Fenway going through their property to get to the station. I just think that the curve complicated construction and they ended up with a center platform that is not accessible to both tracks.

I do agree that if it was a subway station, it would have been much more desirable to have it inside your building or at least an entrance on your property.
bostontrainguy

Postby Rbts Stn » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:42 pm

90% of the daily traffic there is going to be to the Fenway Center development. Having the station be 1/4 mile away, and across Brookline Avenue, is going to be much less convenient for those who live or work there, and would be hell on Brookline Avenue traffic, considering the number of pedestrians needing to cross.

Add in ballpark traffic on the nights of games, and folks leaving the Fenway Center development getting mashed into ballgame traffic would be unweildy.
Rbts Stn

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:31 pm

I think the ideal solution would to have the station centered under Brookline Ave, if possible. It would eliminate the problem of building on a curve. You could have egresses on both sides of Brookline Ave, Lansdowne St, and it would be a bit more convenient for a potential pedestrian tunnel to Kenmore Station, should that ever happen. Everyone wins!

But again, this may not have been possible without replacing the Brookline Ave bridge.
BostonUrbEx

Postby The EGE » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Some progress visible in the last few days. All the station signs up, with the wooden benches installed on some. Dark green metal roofs installed on the platform and stairway canopies.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby Elcamo » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:21 pm

eta on when it will be ready to go? It sounds like it's pretty much all there
Elcamo

Postby ns3010 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:37 am

The sign holders are up, but the actual signs aren't in yet. The outbound platform still needs railings on the back (south) side of most of the unopened part.
ns3010

Postby The EGE » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:11 am

As of tonight the lights on the western halves of the platforms were turned on, and railings were installed on the stairs to the westbound platform. Getting very close now.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby The EGE » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:01 pm

Railings being installed on the western platform sections today despite the cold.
The EGE

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:05 pm

heard yesterday that the dedication of the new Yawkey station is set for Dec. 23rd...as always, subject to change
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Komarovsky » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:59 pm

Good to hear, hopefully this will mean both tracks will be in service between former beacon park and back bay again. Hopefully this will limit the number of delays during evening rush caused by late inbounds occupying the only track.

As a side note the MBTA will still be 2 days late on it's deadline of "fall 2013", the winter solstice is the 21st. At least it will be open in the same year it was scheduled ;)
Komarovsky

Postby The EGE » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:59 am

Picture from the 18th. The T logos on the bridge look quite nice indeed. Streetscaping looks nearly done as well.

As usual, my image, attribution-sharealike license.
The EGE

Postby diburning » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:43 am

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:heard yesterday that the dedication of the new Yawkey station is set for Dec. 23rd...as always, subject to change

Did this happen?
diburning

Postby The EGE » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:08 am

No,it appears it's been moved to January. I believe there's details in the Increased Worcester Service thread.
The EGE

Postby The EGE » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:04 pm

New schedule is out; see my analysis here. The biggest change is that every single train now stops at Yawkey - 23 round trips a day.
The EGE

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)