MBTA Commuter Rail Work Equipment

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: MBTA Commuter Rail Work Equipment

Postby diburning » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:40 am

The red construction equipment and related hi-rail equipment that are labelled "Railroad Construction Company - Paulsboro, NJ" are owned by RJ Corman as they carry their logo. They built a siding near malfunction junction (unpowered) to store all their equipment. They're there for the Columbia (malfunction) junction project.
diburning

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:23 am

diburning wrote:The red construction equipment and related hi-rail equipment that are labelled "Railroad Construction Company - Paulsboro, NJ" are owned by RJ Corman as they carry their logo. They built a siding near malfunction junction (unpowered) to store all their equipment. They're there for the Columbia (malfunction) junction project.

How'd they build the siding? Was the Southampton commuter/Amtrak yard's tail track relocated? Or is it elsewhere? When I saw the equipment, that's where I thought it was, but I'm not too familiar with the area, could have been somewhere further south?
BostonUrbEx

Postby diburning » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:51 pm

We're going off topic here as this would turn into a subway work equipment post, but I'm going to respond anyway in case we decide to make a new thread for this or decide to include subway work equipment discussion in this thread in the future.

The siding is between JFK/UMass station and Columbia Junction. The siding is on the west side of the tracks. It appears that it's hooked up to the yard lead to Cabot on the Ashmont side and not to the main.
diburning

Postby sery2831 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:06 am

There is a tail track off the Cabot lead on the outbound side. Is this where we are talking, or this a totally new installation of track?
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby diburning » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:09 am

Yes, that is the tail track I am talking about. That track was laid to store the equipment. It's new. I've watched them put it in. They put it in last year.
diburning

Postby sery2831 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:06 pm

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!da ... !1e3&fid=7

The lowest track is the tail track I am referring to. It has always been there, but overgrown. It had third rail it's entire length at one time. Guessing you notice them rebuilding it?
sery2831

Postby diburning » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:18 pm

Ah they must have rebuilt it then. They did cut in a new switch though as I've watched them do it, leading me to the assumption that the track was new. The current switch does not show up on Google Maps.
diburning

Postby neman2 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:25 pm

diburning wrote:The red construction equipment and related hi-rail equipment that are labelled "Railroad Construction Company - Paulsboro, NJ" are owned by RJ Corman as they carry their logo. They built a siding near malfunction junction (unpowered) to store all their equipment. They're there for the Columbia (malfunction) junction project.

Railroad Construction Company is not associated with RJ Corman. Check out the website here-

http://www.railnj.com/about-us.php
neman2

Postby diburning » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Interesting. I could have sworn I saw the RJ Corman logo with the 2 f-units on their containers. I'll see if I can get a pic.
diburning

Postby TJ209 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Caught these MBTA MOW vehicles at the North Chelmsford wye. Weird because these tracks are owned by Pan Am and haven't seen an MBTA train in... ever, as far as I know. My assumption is that they were making their way over to the Fitchburg Line from Lowell, but that's a shot in the dark. Does anyone have any insight on this?
YouTube: Signal Hill Productions
TJ209

Postby TJ209 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:57 pm

YouTube: Signal Hill Productions
TJ209

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:46 pm

This is a complete guess, but maybe they came from the Haverhill double tracking project and were heading to the Fitchburg project. Not sure that Andover - Lowell - Chelmsford - Ayer is any faster or less disruptive than Andover - Boston - wherever they're working on the Fitchburg.
BostonUrbEx

Postby sery2831 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:55 am

It is common for MOW moves to operate over the Stony Brook from Lowell to Ayer to save time.
sery2831

Postby KB1KVD » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:39 am

Not exactly MBTA work equipment but the Loram switch grinder arrived on property yesterday on the north side.
Keolis Radio Maintainer Out....
KB1KVD

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)