MBTA Radio Frequencies?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: MBTA Radio Frequencies?

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:19 pm

Is the switch to digital so people cannot listsen in (for "security" reasons)? Or is it superior in signal strength/some other means?
BostonUrbEx

Postby diburning » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:15 pm

Both. With digital radios, they can cut out eavesdroppers, as well as cut out background noise, signal distortion, interference from electronics, as well as interference from people not authorized to transmit on the frequency. It's basically a large private conference call.
diburning

Postby typesix » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:40 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:Is the switch to digital so people cannot listsen in (for "security" reasons)? Or is it superior in signal strength/some other means?

Digital by itself doesn't mean it can't be heard, there are digital radio scanners(at a much higher price than analog). The radio system the T accepted however, is not listenable by any digital scanner.
Digital radio has been promoted as being superior to analog, but that is assuming it's properly implemented, there are systems out there(non-transit) that have been a nightmare for the users.
typesix

Postby MattW » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:53 pm

According to Radio Reference, the ProVoice standard can indeed be monitored by a software package. I won't link the exact page, but if you Google "m/a com provoice" you can find the information. It would be a bit complex to setup, but it seems to be possible. Check your local laws first though. I do not know if it is technically encrypted which would make its reception illegal or not and will not speculate.
MattW

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:57 am

So it seems I can only listen in on the Red Line (with a rather poor signal, too). I'm wondering if the Red Line will remain analog until the current overhaul program comes to a close.
BostonUrbEx

Postby BandA » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:40 am

MattW wrote:According to Radio Reference, the ProVoice standard can indeed be monitored by a software package. I won't link the exact page, but if you Google "m/a com provoice" you can find the information. It would be a bit complex to setup, but it seems to be possible. Check your local laws first though. I do not know if it is technically encrypted which would make its reception illegal or not and will not speculate.
So the problem is that not only you and I can't listen in, but that in case of disaster, the radio system is incompatible with industry standards? http://www.monitoringtimes.com/mteditorialapr07.pdf
BandA

Postby diburning » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:54 am

No, that would be incorrect. The digital radios would still be capable of transmitting in analog.
diburning

Postby MNCRR9000 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:39 pm

What type of portables is the mbcr using ? I gather that they are probably not using the digital radios.
MNCRR9000

Postby tvachon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:37 pm

MNCRR9000 wrote:What type of portables is the mbcr using ? I gather that they are probably not using the digital radios.

They can continue to use the motorolas until the switchover is ready for them, then they have no choice but to go to m/-com systems.

Luckily, Harris bought the tyco business unit which bought m/a-com and since Harris is a major federal contractor (read this as the sole provider of radios to the federal government in recent memory), they are showing an initiative to make opensky and p25 interoperable (http://pspc.harris.com/Solution/NetworkFirst.aspx).

Frankly buying tyco'a bu and doing network first is in their own interest, interoperable systems benefit Harris more than harm it.
tvachon

Postby typesix » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:13 pm

The commuter side will remain analog, as will other railroads. Some railroads have bought digital capable radios, but for now they will remain analog. The only things on the T going digital and non-listenable are the non-railroad rapid/streetcar/bus lines.
typesix

Postby StevieC48 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:03 am

Sorry but I usually know about the scanner and radio issues, However does anyone know if there is a live scanner feed for the T or AMTRAK corridor and CSX Ty
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby tvachon » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:15 am

There is only one feed I'm aware of and its south side only.

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/13468

If anyone wants to donate the hardware, I would host a northside Feed, but I don't see that happening :-D
tvachon

Postby Gerry6309 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:45 am

Just for information sake, the MBTA went digital to allow a dispatcher and driver/operator to converse without interfering with other calls, broadcasts and emergencies. It wasn't to shut the public out. Since a large number of sub channels are possible, it would be difficult to monitor. Of course - in this day and age - anything can be hacked.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby StevieC48 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:03 am

Also this was also done so all lines, PD, etc could talk to each other in any situation without having to go through OCC and the OCC can patch or link the radios with their consoles too. Only exception when there would be no two way radio's used is for a suspicious package or suspicious item. The reason is because the two way transmission my inadvertently set off the trigger if it is an explosive device.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby dbperry » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:00 pm

MBTA Subway and Bus operations can be heard with new firmware for one particular model of scanner.

the Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP and BCD536HP scanners can now monitor the Digital ProVoice format with a paid upgrade.

http://www.trainaficionado.com/mbtaprovoice/

Need to get me one of these!
Known to Keolis and the MBTA as "Twitter Dave"
Frequently posting about the MBTA Framingham-Worcester line on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FramWorMBTA
Owner of Framingham-Worcester Blog: http://FramWorMBTA.weebly.com/
Maintainer of MBTA schedule archive: http://www.dbperry.net/MBTA/
dbperry

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)