Orange Line Work at Oak Grove

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Orange Line Work at Oak Grove

Postby FatNoah » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:55 am

This morning there were about 10-20 people actively working on the storage track at Oak Grove. In my 5 years of using the station, I've never seen this track in use or even any sign that it was used. Anyone know what's going on?
FatNoah

Re: Orange Line Work at Oak Grove

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:13 am

Most recently, the track was used a year ago to pull a disabled train out of service just as the crush loads began in the PM peak. It's also been used for MOW storage and such last year, I'm told.

A few months ago, they cleared all the trees and brush away from the tail track. Recently, (I just noticed yesterday, so VERY recently) they marked ties for replacement with orange spraypaint. So they are actively maintaining it, apparently.

Also, Oak Grove is slated for platform replacement this year. It could be related somehow.
BostonUrbEx

Postby SM89 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:29 pm

The station renovation (I'm using that term liberally) has already begun. In addition to platform repairs, they are also constructing a handicap accessible bathroom and fixing the bridge so that they can remove the scaffolding/bracing that's been supporting it for the past decade.
SM89

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:26 pm

SM89 wrote:fixing the bridge so that they can remove the scaffolding/bracing that's been supporting it for the past decade.

I've been waiting for years for someone to drive into the scaffolding and then see the entire thing just fall right down... can't believe that's gone for so long.

The real renovations should require weekend shutdowns, not sure when we'll see that phase. As far as I know, they're not lumping those shutdowns in with the Assembly Square work. (That could possibly make too much sense)
BostonUrbEx

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri May 03, 2013 6:55 am

As of yesterday, Oak Grove became a single track operation. Today, the out of service half is fully fenced off with a combo of wood boards and orange netting. The westerly (or "inbound") track is the closed one. Trains were holding frequently at Malden yesterday during midday. I can only imagine what rush hours are like.
BostonUrbEx

Postby FatNoah » Fri May 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Talk about a nice surprise on the way into work this morning. I'll be sure to let you know how rush hour is. I was a little late this morning, so it wasn't terrible, but definitely felt more crowded that usual.
FatNoah

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri May 03, 2013 5:52 pm

And as of tonight, the entire half of the platform is walled off with wood boards. No more netting, just a wall.
BostonUrbEx

Postby The EGE » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:14 pm

As of about a week ago, the inbound side work was complete and the outbound side was walled off. It really does look nicer. The new concrete is clean and flat, old holes repaired, and all-new tactile edge has been installed.

Image Image
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:25 am

Does anyone have pictures of the little baby-sized hoppers they're using? Pretty funny how small they are. I no longer take the commuter rail, so I never have a chance to see them now -- only saw them once or twice very briefly in passing.
BostonUrbEx

Postby SM89 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:05 pm

The platform work has finished and both tracks are now in service as of a few days ago. Looks like they're still working on the ped bridge repairs and ADA bathroom installation.
SM89

Postby SM89 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:44 am

Did anyone know about this surprise emergency exit construction? They're down to a single track operation with shuttling to soon follow on select days. I was under the impression that they were done with construction. There certainly was no mention of it in the documents the MBTA had posted about the project months ago. I hope they make it exit only for everyone, not just for emergencies!

Phase 3:
From March 2, 2014, through June 30, 2014 (a period of twelve weeks), construction of a second egress structure at the north end of the Oak Grove platform will be constructed. To perform this work, the southbound track has been taken out of service while the station operates under a single-track operation. The northbound track will be in service in a similar way to Phases 1 and 2 of the Project. During Phase 3, the platform will be fully open and construction will be focused in the storage track area within approximately 150 north of the platform.
SM89

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)