Orient Heights

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Orient Heights

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:53 pm

What's going on with Orient Heights station? It's almost completely gone!
theseaandalifesaver

Re: Orient Heights

Postby The EGE » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:20 pm

There's a previous thread, but it's admittedly hard to find.

In short, they're building a completely new station - much like they did at Airport in 2004. The old station was literally crumbling apart - the platform was partially held up by 2x4s - and there was no accessible route between the platforms even outside of fare control. (You had to use the Saratoga Street bridge).

The new station will look like this:

(Source: http://www.eastboston.com/Archives/MBTA ... isory.html )
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Thanks for the pic. I been searching for one.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby Teamdriver » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:06 pm

MBTA announces Orient Heights recycling event August 28, 2012 02:42 PM

The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority has announced an upcoming community recycling event to take place at East Boston’s Orient Heights MBTA station on the Blue Line.

The recycling event will be held in the station’s parking lot Saturday, Sept. 8, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and is open to all residents of East Boston; surrounding communities such as Winthrop, Chelsea, and Revere; or any other community.

There will be a charge of 35 cents per pound for televisions, but all other materials are free to drop off and will be dismantled and recycled with no landfill impact, according to a statement released Monday by the MBTA.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/eas ... ights.html
Teamdriver

Postby boblothrope » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:26 pm

Teamdriver wrote:The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority has announced an upcoming community recycling event to take place at East Boston’s Orient Heights MBTA station on the Blue Line.
There will be a charge of 35 cents per pound for televisions, but all other materials are free to drop off and will be dismantled and recycled with no landfill impact, according to a statement released Monday by the MBTA.

Why is the T doing this? Isn't it the job of the city/town DPWs?
boblothrope

Postby SM89 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:Thanks for the pic. I been searching for one.

I don't see why it's so hard to find plans for it. For almost all of the other T projects they have site plans and renderings galore on their website.
SM89

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:27 pm

SM89 wrote:
Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:Thanks for the pic. I been searching for one.

I don't see why it's so hard to find plans for it. For almost all of the other T projects they have site plans and renderings galore on their website.

Well I checked again today, and nothing. I did send an email over to them, back when I posted that. I never got a reply.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby The EGE » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:08 am

After previously saying late 2012, closure date has been moved to March 2013: http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/t_pr ... p?id=16403

Boston to a T is reporting March 23.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby The EGE » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:11 pm

The first construction on the new station is happening, though. Here's the inbound elevator shaft on Wednesday:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... r_2012.JPG
The EGE

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:56 pm

What I found funny was the completion of the new bike rack. Surrounded by dug out holes, there is a shinny newly installed bike rack. :)
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby jr145 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:00 pm

It's for all of the residents who have to ride a bicycle because they're unable to get a drivers license for some reason....
jr145

Postby The EGE » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:28 am

What's the service area for Orient Heights? Orient Heights proper plus Winthrop. Close-packed areas where owning a car doesn't always make sense regardless of what you want to say about the locals. Both areas are ideal bicycle range from the station.

It's not strange at all to my eyes. Bicycle racks are popular wherever the T installs them.
The EGE

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:39 am

Just to clear something up, I was pointing out the oddity that the bike rack was done first. Normally street furniture like that is completed at the end of the project. I was never judging anyone on bike usage.

The new bike rack cant even be used at this point, its surround by fencing and craters.

They recently installed a large canopy covered one at Wood Island. This is tying into the Mayor's push for a more bicycle friendly East Boston. We received new wide bicycling lanes up and down the major streets.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby jr145 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:48 am

It was a joke. But anyway, does anyone know when the last remaining portion is set to be torn down?
jr145

Postby The EGE » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:43 pm

jr145 wrote:It was a joke. But anyway, does anyone know when the last remaining portion is set to be torn down?

I'm guessing when the station closes for six months in March, as mentioned above.
The EGE

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)